News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Remember our old friend Baff002 from Christophe's dissapointing thread? Remember the types of backing and stitching? Remember the ribbons used? I present this week's fakes by this seller:

Bad Bar #6. What is wrong with this picture?

• Replies 282
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#6:

a. No Hindenburg Cross, therefore it should be pre-1934. Given that, why is the EK in first place?

b. I'm not sure what the criteria for that particular grade of the Princely Hohenzollern House Order was, but I'd wager it probably doesn't jive with the MVO4XmKr.

c. It's an officer's bar with a 24 year long service ribbon, and no 1911 Jubilee.

#8:

a. Shouldn't the Friedrichsorden be in front of the Wilhelmskreuz?

Guest Rick Research

The waste of original parts in this Frankenstein butchery is inexcusable. Some are good looking from the front, like that last one, but others like that next to last one are garbage as idiotic as our own Ohio Parts Fraudster's on a bad day.

I thought we had outlived swords on peacetime Red eagle ribbon! speechless.gif

I really love the LUDWIG CROSS with the Bavarian Super Hero's a-chronological bar up top. wacko.gif

One thing is clear: He has LATE 1930s/WW2 metal backings that are completely WRONG for the VAST assortment of "pre-Hindeburg Cross" ribbons he is hacking up, and some nice old swords. But the same style backing work is now

"fingerprinted."

Let's do this blow-by-blow, photo by photo.

First picture, a Bavarian "Super-Hero Bar"

This is a 1930's style ribbon bar mount.

However, there's no Hindenburg Cross, so immediately we have to say pre-1934/35. OK, that's not bad so far...

But!

1) The EK2 should be after all Bavarian awards

2) Hohenzollern Makes no sense

3) Ludwig Cross does not fit with combattant awards

4) Prince Ruprecht's Medal.... really??

Photo 4: Prussian (sic) bar:

A) Red Eagle Peace-time/statute ribbon, with swords??

B) Non-Combattant War ribbon after nEK2, RAOw. Swords??

C) Split Red Cross Medals?

D) Life-Savings in last place?

E) Cross to the Allgemeine=Ehrenzeichen??

Last bar, "Waldeck"?

A) OK, this one is very good.... but the combination of seller, again with the worn/not perfect backing and the stitching pattern all smell bad to me. I would not bet on this being authentic with anyone's money.

You need to excersise supreme deference when shopping eBay. The place is riddled with fake bars, compromised bars and just out & out garbage. Both in the US and Europe. Be very, very careful what you are buying. These bars are popping up at all the shows, etc. and will be found being offered from many different sellers. Pay very close attention to the backings/stitching. If it looks like this, start asking serious questions.........

Guest Rick Research

"Since I don't eat, drink and sleep ribbon bars, it really helps to understand..."

You DON'T??????? ohmy.gif

I dream them, too. wacko.gif

Some of these must have slid by ME while I was actually... sleeping. Eternal vigilance is very tiring!

"Since I don't eat, drink and sleep ribbon bars, it really helps to understand..."

You DON'T???????  ohmy.gif

I dream them, too. wacko.gif

Some of these must have slid by ME while I was actually... sleeping.  Eternal vigilance is very tiring!

You know you're starting to head towards the point of no return when you start to see ribbon patterns in other places that haven't the slightest connection to them. I caught myself looking at a stack of multicolored 3.5" floppies, and picking out the Ostfront and Saxon FAM that were incidentally formed by the diskettes.

speechless.gif

I'm sure that there are other collectors that see similarities between patterns in mashed potatos and die flaws in German war badges, so really it's just a matter of choosing your insanity. cheers.gif

--Chris

It's all a matter of geography. You're in Lovecraft territory over there. I live in the backdrop for "Lost Boys". There's a very fundamental difference in paradigm. Not having the benefit of first-hand exposure to the Black Ranklist of the Ancients in the Miskatonic University Library, I've had to slowly float my way down the vortex artifact by artifact. beer.gif

The Pandora's box of speaking the hidden names associated with relics from another time. Perhaps not as benign a hobby as we had been led to believe.

Of course, perhaps I only think that I have choice in the matter...

--Chris

P.S.

When I get some time, I'll post the photos of my new Oberleutnant von Mebpaxnomon-Opopazp grouping.

Interesting thing about this bar is other than the first 3 being in the wrong order, it's actually a possibility with the 2 Bulgarian awards..........

Wouldn't the ribbon in fourth place have to be downright yellow to be Bulgarian? I read it as a Czech Annexation with swords.

• 2 weeks later...