News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Panzer Medical Officer

This very strange tunic has presented itself. I am considering a possible trade for it. When you review the photos, you will see how this tunic throws up some red flags. But upon a basic internet search of the name(which is very non germanic and unique), the possiblity of this configuration starts to seem more realistic. There was indeed a Dr Twardy.

There are several theories that have been presented.

1. A former medical officer who decided to switch over to a combatant role(panzer), and was somehow allowed to continue to wear the emblem on his boards.

2. Perhaps the Panzer unit this doctor was assigned to permitted the Doctor to wear the pink waffenfarbe as some sort of unofficial honor.

Regardless, I doubt that this type of occurrence with the insignia will be noted in any reference.

I am looking for any type of information that might be out there on an:

Oberartzt Dr. Twardy

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

(This topic and photos have been used with permission from the owner)

Some more data... from Dion

I would say 98% That the Dr Twardy in the Lexicon the Wehrmacht is the guy. I googled Dr Twardy with out search word Wehrmacht and I only get 4 pages and the man is a Professor Doctor here at the University of K?ln. I believe the latter is not our guy, he would be far to old.

Also it appears the had no Vets?

Sanit?tsdienste 17

1. / Sanit?ts-Kompanie 17

2. / Sanit?ts-Kompanie 17

1. / Krankenkraftwagenzug 17

2. / Krankenkraftwagenzug 17

Feldlazarett 17

Veterin?r-Kompanie 17

Paul,

something to consider:

the label is dated December 1942 for an Oberarzt (Oberleutnant). It is inconcieveable that he could have risen to the rank of Oberfeldarzt (Oberstleutnant) in the next 30 months.

Regards

Glenn

Paul,

something to consider:

the label is dated December 1942 for an Oberarzt (Oberleutnant). It is inconcieveable that he could have risen to the rank of Oberfeldarzt (Oberstleutnant) in the next 30 months.

Regards

Glenn

Hi All

I think I found Dr Twardys telephone number. If it is him I will see what he hjas to say.

Thanks All

Dion

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Paul.

Nice Tunic. I was going through one of my books and stumbled upon the following. I think this is your man.

"Death of the Leaping Horseman - 24th Panzer Division in Stalingrad" by Jason D. Mark

Under Casualties for the date of 16th August 1942:

Oberarzt Dr. Twardy (Regimental Arzt):PAR89

(Wounded but Stayed with the Troops)

Later on in the book, at the biography at the back it states this:

Twardy, Oberarzt Dr. Abteilung Arzt II./Panzerartillerie-Regiment 89

Wounded on the 16th of August 1942. Stayed with troops. Later became regiment Arzt.

Survived Stalingrad. Survived the war. He died before 1961.

Much of the information in the book comes from the War Diaries of the 24th Div, and personal accounts.

The wounding happened about 60 kms SW of Stalingrad near Semkin and Lake Tsatsa on the drive to Stalingrad. Unfortunately the is no further mention of him. Guess that means your tunic needs a wound badge :blush:

Hope this helps.... :beer:

Edited by Henry 24th

Guest Rick Research

Great information! :cheers:

So here we have yet another example where something unique and valuable has been butchered by an idiot faking up something Hollywood-ish to quote unquote improve upon that reality. :banger:

This is getting confusing. The Oberarzt Twardy I have had contact with is the son. His Father is alive and kicking. They sold the tunic some months ago and Iam awaiting a scan of the tunic in wear.

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen.

What, if any, was the final outcome of this tunic? Dion, any word from the family?

Henry

Mom wasnt called in the states anymore, Iam letting it rest I suspect real privacy issues.

• 2 weeks later...