News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII Ike Jacket

Hauptmann

Label inside inner pocket:

Jackets Field Wool O.D.

Stock No. 55-J-384-550

34R

Joseph H. Cohen & Sons

Vanity Clothes, Inc.

Cont.W-36-030-qm-6858

Dated June 28, 1944

Pattern Dated 5/10/44

Spec. P.O.D. No. 437

Phila. Q.M. Depot

The tunic seems to be in great shape. Far as I know the ribbons hadn't even been off in ages till tonight when I took them off to scan them. I put them back in the same holes. The tunic is just how I originally purchased it and seems to be the way it's always been.

Dan :cheers:

Very nice one - original to be for sure. I like these as you can still get this type for fairly cheap and you dont have to worry about the previous owner slapping jump wings on it and a CIB. Nope - tells a perfect story just as it is. Very nice - got any others?

This one is mine in storage an Icelandic / ETO

Hi Charles,

VERY NICE! :jumping::jumping: Had no idea you sly fox! You're like me... into a bit of everything! :P We're definitely gonna have to plan on going "hunting" when you're back in the states... hopefully during estate sale season.

As far as others... I have a Navy officers dress blue uniform... can't remember if it's an Ensign or a Lt. It's in a garment bag complete with original cap (I believe with extra top) and pants. It was a gift from a friend many moons ago. And then I'd gotten Nick what I believe is a WWII sailors "cracker jack" uniform. I'd forgotten where I'd gotten the "rainbow" till I thought about the sailor... they were both out of a big trade with an acquaintance down in Florida several years back. He had some German, a tiny bit of Soviet and DDR and a ton of US. I wasn't generally into US but Nick liked alot of it so I just traded for a bunch and these were part of the deal. I especially liked the "rainbow" since it seemed so complete and looked original. I'd later gotten him one that he drooled over... had I been into U.S. I'd have gotten it for myself. It was from a friend who happened to be blind. It had been her grandfathers. Her folks were "cleaning out" the house and getting rid of it. I worked a deal with them through her since otherwise it would probably have been given to a thrift store or something. It was a complete set of several uniforms, pinks, etc., with all insignia, ribbons, the works, including at least one of his caps. I believe it was for a Lt. Col. and even came with a copy of some photos of him in uniform and a bit of documentation showing he'd served in N. Africa in the Army Air Corps. Just a terrific set with history, etc., and which could be further researched based on the info we got from them which I believe included his service number, units, etc.

I generally hate to see families part with such things, but with the only granddaughter being blind she really didn't have an interest in it since she couldn't even see it. She and her folks simply wanted it to go to a good home where it would be loved and appreciated for the history it represented. This fellow was heavily into U.S. and German, history of WWII, etc., and went nuts when he got it... just loved it. And I'm sure he still has it as one of the prizes of his collection.

Even though I'm not truly into U.S. for the most part I like to have representative pieces from the various sides in both WWI and WWII. I used to have several TR German uniforms but over the years they have all gone to other collectors. I still keep my eye out... if I find such goodies for cheap at estate sales and that sort of thing I'd grab them if I have the $$'s at the time. But I don't tend to hunt them down say on Ebay and that sort of thing.

I really love German uniforms of most time periods. They could almost go direct from the battlefield to a dress ball and back again. Whereas U.S. and some other forces just looked so drab all the time... even when they were "dressed up". Don't know why it always struck me this way... they just tended to look much more utiliitarian. As plain as some Soviet uniforms were when dressed up with all their various medals and Orders and such... well, I guess they were like Christmas trees... tended to be very plain till they were decorated and then look out! :P

If anyone is intro'd I'd be happy to try to do up pics of my others. Again I don't think they're anything to write home about but I guess to some collectors they'd be considered a real find. The dress blues even have a small U.S. flag folded up in the pocket as I recall.

Thanks, :beer:

super nice tunics! The rainbow div is a very highly decorated unit!!

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the compliment! :beer: I really should do some research on that division and put it with the tunic. Yet another project I've always kind of put on a back burner. Another thing that attracted me to that one was he was a Tech Sergeant like my Uncle Jack was so there was that connection there.

Thanks again, :beer:

If I recal (please correct me if wrong) the Rainbow Division liberated Dachau. (Did you check the pockets for the SS collar tabs?) :rolleyes:

As for collecting - I collect where I am at - so when in Rome - collect the Romans, etc...

Edited by hunyadi

ooooh-that airborne carrier jacket is niiice!

Check to see the Combat medic badge hasn't been removed though- I can't see how he got that rack and not have received one.

Funny enough, I was in the Salvation Army yesterday and got you something CD! It's odd, but has character.

If I recal (please correct me if wrong) the Rainbow Division liberated Dachau. (Did you check the pockets for the SS collar tabs?) :rolleyes:

As for collecting - I collect where I am at - so when in Rome - collect the Romans, etc...

Boy, don't I wish!!!! We'd have definitely gotten you some great uniforms with those!!!! Sadly nothing but the insides of the pockets. But I'll keep trying! :beer:

ooooh-that airborne carrier jacket is niiice!

Check to see the Combat medic badge hasn't been removed though- I can't see how he got that rack and not have received one.

Funny enough, I was in the Salvation Army yesterday and got you something CD! It's odd, but has character.

Combat Medic Badge? Sadly its in storage, but I do remember looking it over very thoroughly when I got it - hopeing that there was some holes for wings or something, but nothing. So I think he was a regular flight mechanic , or as someone suggested a guy who flew with the general staff and delivered in flight tea, but didnt qualify for wings. But somehow he got that Air Medal. So - what did you find for me? Hero of the Hungarian People's Republic? :rolleyes: