News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach: General Honor Decoration

Two earlier threads illustrated the principal decoration for officers of the Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (Gro?herzogtum Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach), the Order of the White Falcon:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14487

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16099

The principal decoration for noncommissioned officers and enlisted soldiers of the Grand Duchy was the General Honor Decoration with Clasp and Swords, or Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen mit Bandschnalle und Schwertern. This was awarded in gold, silver and bronze. As in many German and European monarchies, rank determined which class one received, with gold for senior NCOs and Offizier-Stellvetreter, silver for junior NCOs (Vizefeldwebeln and Unteroffiziere), and bronze for lower enlisted soldiers.

Having finally received the last one I was missing, the gold, I would like to illustrate some larger detailed images of the three classes. Click on the images below for larger pictures:

Gold (stamped 800 silver on the reverse of the Bandschnalle):

GSgAEX1a.jpg GSgAEX2a.jpg

Silver:

DE_SWE_silb_AEZ_X_1a.jpg DE_SWE_silb_AEZ_X_2a.jpg

Bronze:

DE_SWE_brz_AEZ_X_1a.jpg DE_SWE_brz_AEZ_X_2a.jpg

Thanks! :beer:

You can also see that my silver medal was apparently removed from a medal bar.

One of the only Milit?rpasses I have is to an Oberj?ger in Reserve-J?ger-Bataillon Nr. 24, Johannes M?ller. He was born in 1882 in the village of Haufeld in Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach and inducted in 1915. He received the Iron Cross 2nd Class on 4 April 1918 and the General Honor Decoration in Bronze with Clasp and Swords on 9 July 1918. Those documents are missing (naturally) but I have the certificates for his Honor Cross for Combatants and Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Medal (both issued to him as a schoolteacher in Jena). So I am hoping someday to come across a medal bar with those awards, although the one thing I don't know is whether a "Volksschullehrer" (the title on the FKE doc) would have received a Third Reich Treudienst-Ehrenzeichen as well.