Bryan

Order of Yugoslavian People's Army

I was finally able to get a T1  3c OPA and am very satisfied.  Enjoy some images of the new acquisition and one shot of of a pair together.

BFFs.jpg

hieght.jpg

OPA3 O.jpg

OPA3 R.jpg

Question:  Military Orders such as this and the Order of Military Merit; who was eligible for these?  Could a Private, or even a Senior Sergeant receive any of these orders?  Or were these reserved for commissioned officers only?

I've never seen that a Private was awarded with such orders and I belive they never were. I've seen a few documented orders awarded to a non-commissioned officers but those were the lowest 3rd class awards. I belive that 2nd and 1st classes were only awarded to commissioned officers.

These orders were also awarded to military officials (vojni službenici). Those were special ranks that were equal to normal ranks but didn't have a privilege of commanding the units during peace. There were 9 classes of those ranks, 1st was equal to Colonel and 9th was equal to Sergeant. The highest decoration that I've seen that was awarded to a military official was Order of People's Army 3rd class although I belive they could be awarded with the higher class.

3 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

I saw those on ebay recently. So that's where they went. :)

Nice ones Eric!

Yes, in a safe home now. All four documents to the same man saved for posterity, for what that's worth.  So few even notice this, much less care about it.

8 hours ago, Eric Gaumann said:

Yes, in a safe home now. All four documents to the same man saved for posterity, for what that's worth.  So few even notice this, much less care about it.

Indeed, I hate it when they sell documents or groups of orders that belonged to the same person apart. I managed to save one fantastic group half a year ago. Here it is: 

OK boys, here it is; my OPA2 that I just received;

000_4894.jpg

000_4895.jpg

000_4896.jpg

Some more images.  When I saw this on ebay I thought the darker parts of the rays of the obverse were wear/patina.  Sadly they seem to be where the gold paint either flaked away or was not correctly applied.  Same on the reverse down by the catch.  So it's just another 'shinny'.

Seems I've maxed out my upload MB allowance so I'll try for more later.

Great addition Eric! Glad to see our subforum is busy lately.

In the post #76 you can see the OPA2 awarded to my grandpa. Sadly it also has that non-gilt parts.

Do you perhaps have a document that went with your piece? I'm guessing it was awarded in the early 80's.

4 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

Great addition Eric! Glad to see our subforum is busy lately.

In the post #76 you can see the OPA2 awarded to my grandpa. Sadly it also has that non-gilt parts.

Do you perhaps have a document that went with your piece? I'm guessing it was awarded in the early 80's.

Thanks.  I have a document for an OPA2 but it's not the actual doc that came with this order.

More images.  Huge box, BTW; 180mm x 122mm x 43mm.

000_4897.jpg

opa23.jpg

opa26.jpg