News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

M.M. to a French soldier...

Most honorary (foreign) awards were not listed in the LG and tracing them is much more difficult.

Let me see if I can find anything. As I recall, A&T have some data on the numbers of honorary awards. Maybe not.

Abbot and Tamplin (2nd ed., p. 227) list 5,688 honorary MM awards for WWI (and freely admit their list is incomplete). By country:

France - 2,472

Italy - 1,320

Belgium - 442

U.S.A. - 413

Czechoslovakia - 320

Rumania - 259

Serbia - 171

Greece - 149

Portugal - 76

Japn - 68

Russia - 7

For comparison, for WWII, there were only 660 honorary awards.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

The difference between WWI & WWII is quite interesting. The various Allied powers seem to have given out decorations to each others' soldiers pretty freely in the Great War.

I once owned a group to a British Officer of Indian Cavalry (Capt. Branfoot, 30th Lcrs) who had received the Rumanina Order of the Corwn, one of the nicest looking decorations I've ever owned. ASs far as I can tell he may not have known where Rumania was and certainly never served with any, but a former messmate remarked (somewhat cynically perhaps) that "Branny" wasn't quite good enough for an MC and so got the Rumanian gong "which they sent around by the basketful at Christmas time". Makes a good story anyway!

Peter

Since I still have A&T out, even at the risk of getting :off topic: , here are the WWII honorary MMs:

U.S.A. - 310

Free French - 185

Poland - 63

Belgium - 24

Greece - 24

Norway - 23

Czechoslovakia - 18

Netherlands - 9

U.S.S.R. - 4

And, as with WWI, these numbers may be low and incomplete.