News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Veteran's badge of First Cavalry Army

A new addition to the collection: Veteran of the First Cavalry Army. 1st cav. Army was THE most famous civil war unit with guys like Budenny, Voroshilov, Timoshenko, Meretskov, Zhukov etc. in its ranks. This is the veteran?s badge for me and I have been looking for a while to find one.

Have anyone seen fakes of this one...?? Or am I just being paranoid....

Here is one in Ed?s thread: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6207&st=71

/Kim

As I understood it (from what I was told when I first bought the one that is in Ed's thread from the "picker" who got it from the family) they should all be serial numbered. I don't know if they issued them without serial number, and I don't see a serial number on yours. Any other opinions are welcome!

Dave

There are no signs of any serial numer on it. But that only raises more questions. Why, if this is faked, would you fake something perfect and forget a basic thing like that. Ok, maybe some of the guys who make their living from producing fakes aren't that clever. But they got the rest of the reverse right.

Does anybody have an example that we can compare mine with?

/Kim

It's a super nice badge Ed! :jumping: I think it was seeing yours (or if it was Dave's back then) in living colour that made me want one in the first place.

Did it come with any document? A closer look on the years on the reverser would be helpful. I'll try to get a better pic of mine. But it's tricky with a digital cam.

Perhaps Kravchenko was the toughest one-year old around.... :unsure:

/Kim

Edited by kimj

Thanks Ed! Are the numbers gold plated? or is it a scanner effect?

And here is a close up of mine. I must say that many things looks the same. But not 100%. Manufacture difference or.... :speechless1::banger:

Belaruski: It makes sense that a commemorative badge also could be some sort of award. I would guess that it had been awarded for something related to 1st Cav. Army. Perhaps a flattering historic book/article would be worth a badge...

/Kim

Not possible to say if there was originally a very light gilt there (there is a "hint" of gilding on the number "50", saber handles, and horse's head on the obverse) or is it just tarnish/scanner effect? Whatever gilding was on this badge, it didn't last.

Gentlemen,

in my view the numbers of the years are 100 % ident, which proofs, that Kim's badge shouldn't be a fake - besides the overall qualities of Kim's badge.

There are some other (rare & highpriced) badges with s/n. AND without s/n.: For example the badge to the title "Meritorious Pilot of the CCCP". I have one in my collection without s/n., but it is documented, that both versions (and two differnt versions of rv. & mintmark) do exist.

Maybe Kim's badge was really unissued, as Bryan "Soviet" pointed out.

I don't agree with the verdict of that guy from the "other" Soviet forum, who simply said: "It's a fake!".

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Thanks for the support Christian. :cheers: I have looked at the numbers and I?m still finding details, some that match and some that differ slightly. One could go mad doing this. :)

Serial numbers are missing on all badges/orders at some point in the manufacturing process. So who knows? That it?s missing isn?t hard evidence of anything, just that it?s odd.

I disagree that I got a direct verdict on ?the other forum?. It was more like a nice way to say ?fake until proven real?. And it?s just an opinion.

/Kim

I disagree that I got a direct verdict on ?the other forum?. It was more like a nice way to say ?fake until proven real?. And it?s just an opinion.

Actually, I think he was just trying to be informative with his comment of: "These ARE faked (what isn't these days?)..." I don't think he was saying that this one is a fake.

Back on the topic of this badge, I started thinking that they might have made the numbered badges for officers of the unit, and perhaps gave unnumbered ones to the rest of the veterans. Oddly, the numbered badge came from the estate of someone who WASN'T even in the unit (he was too young to have been in the Civil War) but was a general officer at the time. Rather odd, I think.

Dave

hello gentlemen, all that I can say is that a good friend of mine has this badge with a rotative tool-engraved serial number.

But, would it be possible to tell us the cotation of such a piece please?

Seb: Like mine?

I tried to find the thread on That Other Forum (where I rarely go), and it seems not to be there. Managament censorship?

No censorship that I'm aware of.

-the Management from the other forum :cheers:

There seems to some missunderstanding. The link Dave posted is just my badge question "over there". So there was no "censorship" needed. ;) The badge seb16trs is refering to is in Paris, off-line. If you could get some scans or pics seb16trs we would be happy.

But, would it be possible to tell us the cotation of such a piece please?

I do not know what you meant with this. How many made? or What the statues were? From some Russian collector forum I saw a guess on 1000 made. But I doubt he had any hard evidence for that.

I'll try to get some more info on the high quality fakes Marc, on SAF, was writing about. But that will take some time. Stay tuned to this thread for more to come.... :rolleyes:

/Kim

Ed-

The thread is still there (no reason to delete it) The link to it is: http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/soviet-...t-cav-army.html (hope no one minds the link!)

Dave

OK, thanks. I couldn't find it. Obvious user error on my part. Just wanted to see what was said Over There.

We do not, so far as I know, have any policy prohibiting links. We know knowledge resides all over. Unlike Other Fora.