News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Officer of Prison Guards Uniform

Take a look at this full uniform. Does anyone else here have one of these? I was able to pick it up for a very small price (I'm not going to say who I got it from) ;) . Unlike many uniforms for sale, it came with not only the pants but the correct visor cap and tie. I do have a question though about the hat. If you look at the photo it appears that the inside lining has ripped slightly, is this a problem? Can it be fixed? I'm not actually sure if it has been ripped or if it is just loose and is supposed to be tucked underneith. Comments are very much appreciated.

100_3568.jpg

100_3574.jpg

100_3569.jpg

100_3572.jpg

100_3573.jpg

That is a great set!! Thank you for sharing it with us. I do have a set for the Correctional Officer, as well.

I have never attempted to repair a visor, nor would I recommend trying. The material appears to be torn to me. For me, I would not find this to be distracting.

coinguy89,

Nice uniform. It is not unusual to find the cap lining loose at the front. It is difficult to repair so as has already been suggested I would just leave it alone. Most of the time when the lining is loose like this it indicates someone has removed and replaced the cap badge. It is virtually imposible to remove and replace the cap badge without cutting thread holding the lining in pace at the front. Too bad the sweat shield is missing. Be nice ti have it threr to se what is prined on it. The cap appears to be of an earlier vintage than the uniform. What is the date code inside the tunic?

Regards,

Gordon

coinguy89,

Nice uniform. It is not unusual to find the cap lining loose at the front. It is difficult to repair so as has already been suggested I would just leave it alone. Most of the time when the lining is loose like this it indicates someone has removed and replaced the cap badge. It is virtually imposible to remove and replace the cap badge without cutting thread holding the lining in pace at the front. Too bad the sweat shield is missing. Be nice ti have it threr to se what is prined on it. The cap appears to be of an earlier vintage than the uniform. What is the date code inside the tunic?

Regards,

Gordon

In a white ink print I found the following: "Mdl k48 1850 l/L"

Is 1850, 1950 or is it just some "code?"

Coinguy,

Thanks for sending the markings in your tunic. They stand for;

MdI- Ministry of the Interior which is the Ministry responsible for the prison guards;

k48- is the size markings-k for klein (small) and 48 would be a size 38 in North America;

1850- is the code for the maker-a list identifying manufacturers names with their numerical code has not been found yet;

1/L- stands for the first quarter of either 1973 or 1987. L was the only alphabetical letter used twice to indicate a year of manufacture. From the pictures of your uniform on this thread I would say 1987 is a more likely date for manufacture than 1973.

I would say that the hat is definitely from an earlier period than the uniform but that is not a bad thing. Just something to note.

Regards,

Gordon

The two most common maker codes that I have come across would be 1850 and 1802. So far I have only identified the latter, 1802, which is VEB Burger Bekleidungswerke in Burg bei Magdeburg. On older uniforms you may see their logo, which includes their initials "BBW." BBW was part of VVB Herrenkonfektion and later became part of VEB Textilkombinat Cottbus or TKC. :cheers::rolleyes:

Jon.

The two most common maker codes that I have come across would be 1850 and 1802. So far I have only identified the latter, 1802, which is VEB Burger Bekleidungswerke in Burg bei Magdeburg. On older uniforms you may see their logo, which includes their initials "BBW." BBW was part of VVB Herrenkonfektion and later became part of VEB Textilkombinat Cottbus or TKC. :cheers::rolleyes:

Jon.

BBW Logo

Coinguy,

Thanks for sending the markings in your tunic. They stand for;

MdI- Ministry of the Interior which is the Ministry responsible for the prison guards;

k48- is the size markings-k for klein (small) and 48 would be a size 38 in North America;

1850- is the code for the maker-a list identifying manufacturers names with their numerical code has not been found yet;

1/L- stands for the first quarter of either 1973 or 1987. L was the only alphabetical letter used twice to indicate a year of manufacture. From the pictures of your uniform on this thread I would say 1987 is a more likely date for manufacture than 1973.

I would say that the hat is definitely from an earlier period than the uniform but that is not a bad thing. Just something to note.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks for the photo Jon. Gordon, what sort of organization would someone of the "prison guard" be associated with? Is this an actual prison for civilians or military? Who else would be associated with them? Do you have any idea how large the organization would have been? I'm trying to get an idea of what chance I have as to getting another similar uniform.

coinguy,

These uniforms were worn by civilian prison guards. As I mentioned my my last post, they worked for the Ministry of the Interior. They were not associated with any other organizations that I am aware of but would have worked with the police as part of receiving prisoners etc. No difference here than in any other country. I can not give you an idea of how large an organization it is because I have never researched the number of prisons etc. Their uniforms are not uncommon so you shouldn't have any problmes acquioring another uniform from this organization.

Regards,

Gordon