News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Damaged TWM

Alex K

Hi everyone, the attached TWM made by Godet has unfortunately suffered damage to the enamelling. :o It comes with the original case and a piece of original ribbon. I don't think that the damage is due to wearing the award, as by my reckoning, it shows no sign of wear on the reverse, and unlikely to come with the original box and ribbon. It has the usual quality shown with Godet awards. If it was damage by wear I could quite happily accept it

Questions

1) Would members ever consider having it re-enamelled proffesionally? (Is that spelt right, it looks funny?)

2) Is the current value of the award sufficient to merit the expense of restoration?

3) if restored, would it have a marked effect on its value- and authenticity?

4) If restoration of the enamelling reduced it's value or authenticity initially, would the value eventually "Catch-up" as these pieces naturally increase in value?. i believe the Painting "Mona Lisa" in the Louvre in Paris was attacked a few years ago and damaged, and subsequently restored, does this also mean that it is now worth less or is now less desirable than before??

5) last question, if it was known that this was a restoration, would it detract from a members desire to aquire or own the piece?

apologies for rambling but to me this is an interesting aspect as to individual thoughts and patterns with regards to repair, restoration, preservation of historically collectible items.

any thought greatly appreciated

regards

Alex

There is only one Mona Lisa, or at least we hope so. Certainly you can find others TWM made by Godet.

If price is reasonable I would take it. If you decide not to get it, I would appreciate if you could let me know by pm how to contact the seller.

Mario

Leave it alone. The damage is part of the history (and since it not official, but a jewler's doo-dad anyway), so leave it alone.

"Repaired" would make it no more than pretty trash, as far as my purist rules run.

Hi gentlemen, 75% of me says leave it alone and the remaining 25% says its a shame and would look better if it was repaired, this was the reason for the questions, I sort of know deep down that some of it's authenticity would be lost and in the end be just a pretty bauble.

At least in this state it has some sort of history to it. I guess it'll remain as it is, and buy a better piece when I spot one

Thanks for the responces

regards

Alex

As Mario said. You will find others and in better state of repair. Do not touch it and just look for an upgrade.

It is my belief that you have better chances of reselling it (should you want to and should it not pertain to a group!!) and upgrading it with its present damage than if restored - even professionally!

Jim :cheers:

Hi Jim & Kevin, It's interesting to here the views so far that something which is damaged has more personal value than a finely restored piece, It'll remain as it is.

thanks for the input

regards

Alex

I have no problems to repair Orders and Decorations if i know BEFORE the result will be satiesfying. I have done this once.

I'am not happy with this TWM because IMHO it looks like somebody already tried to repair it by painting cold-enamel or something else on the TWM. the result is very very ugly. it would look much better if the enamel would have stayed damaged.

haynau