News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Czech Medal for Iraq

Have just been sent this less than perfect but interesting image of the Czech medal for service in Iraq. Why is it in English?

I dont know why it is in English, but I do like the design!

It is the Commemorative Medal of the Czech Military Police in Iraq, established in 2004. It was awarded to the Czech contingent and allied troops, and that is probably why it is in English (but in Arabic as well!). Czechs have always loved medals and have established a number of various semi-official ones like this both before WWII and now. Most of them are of good quality and interesting design.

Lukasz

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Guest Rick Research

On a related wildly unlikely language tangent--

There were a number of Red Chinese medals made during their Civil War bearing "Model" and "Hero" on the obverse designs, inexplicably in English-- sometimes with the letters wrong-- "Mobel" and so on.

Who KNOWS what goes on in the minds of award designers and the committees which approve them? :speechless1::rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

On a related wildly unlikely language tangent--

There were a number of Red Chinese medals made during their Civil War bearing "Model" and "Hero" on the obverse designs, inexplicably in English-- sometimes with the letters wrong-- "Mobel" and so on.

Who KNOWS what goes on in the minds of award designers and the committees which approve them? :speechless1::rolleyes:

This is my medal awarded at the Czech embassy in London last year, some are issued in theatre and other in Prague.

Edited by dante

• 1 year later...