News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

this came just with the mail..... after some info from PaulC this is the medal bar of Major Alfons Ritter von Bram (InfanterieRegiment 20 , born 1865 died 1951) - thank you very much gentlemen!!!! Can someone with the bavarian sources give me now the correct classe of the peacetime MVO, Mecklenburg griffin and REO...? Any more info on this man? Anyone a picture?

thanks in advance

Heiko

Very nice Heiko :jumping:

Alfons Bram received the MVO4b, the Jubilee medal, the RAO4 and DA 24. I found this info in the Milit?r Handbuch 1913. Before the war he was member of the 21. I.R.

Regards

Christophe

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring back up an old thread, but I was searching around regarding MMJO recipients and came across it. Are you certain of this ID?

Alfons Ritter von Bram's prewar awards were the BMV4, the Jubilee Medal, the MG3, the RAO4 and the Bavarian DA-Kreuz 2. Klasse. In Bavarian abbreviations, the MG3 is the Ehrenkreuz of the Greifen-Orden. This was the pinback cross. I don't think it would show up on the ribbon bar, would it?

This combination seems more like that of Major Heinrich H?rnis, in 1914 the commander of II./21.Infanterie Regiment Gro?herzog Friedrich Franz IV. von Mecklenburg-Schwerin. His awards were the BMV4, the Jubilee Medal, the MG4mKr, the RAO4 and the Bavarian DA-Kreuz 2. Klasse. MG4mKr was the Ritterkreuz mit Krone. This would be a ribbon bar award, although I don't know if a crown device would be customary.

Major H?rnis was killed in action on 7 October 1914, and does not appear to have had any more awards. So his prewar bar would have been unchanged.

Thoughts?

Hi Dave,

very interesting indeed...................... :o

I don`t think that a pinback award would appear as ribbon on a ribbon bar.............................. especially because this big ribbon bar has hooks in the middle of each ribbon on the front side under the ribbons for putting the awards in there - so, should be a ribbon award from Mecklenburg and not a pinback!!!!!

Then it is really possible that it is Major Heinrich H?rnis........... can anyone confirm all this, Rick or Rick or Wildcard or anyone else???? I don`t want to write a THIRD name table for this one......

thank you so much!!!

Heiko

Guest Rick Research

Is the clip for the Griffin way up top where it would be so a "mit Krone" would hang at the same level across with the other awards? That would be the unfortunate H?rnis as of 1913/14.

I can't actually tell if this was MADE as a ribbon bar (with clips "just in case") or if it was a medal bar that has had the awards removed.

Hi Heiko,

Absolutely beautiful! :love: Regardless of recipient, my kind of bar. :jumping:

As you know bars, groups and related identification is not my strongest suit, but since you asked... It appears to me that this is a perfect match for Major Hornis. To assign it to Ritter von Barn, we have to accept the Griffin Order ribbon as denoting a pinback cross, which I believe is quite contrary to regulation.

Short of one of the twins coming up with another candidate (sans pinback), I would say that you have got your man.

Congratulations and best wishes, :beer:

Wild Card

P.S. It would still be interesting to see a picture of Ritter von Barn with his bar. As unlikely as it seems, anything is possible. :wacky:

Edited by Wild Card

P.S. It would still be interesting to see a picture of Ritter von Barn with his bar. As unlikely as it seems, anything is possible. :wacky:

Not the best picture, but Alfons Ritter von Bram in 1921 or so:

Edited by Dave Danner

.................... :speechless1: ........................... :jumping: .................... ok Rick....................thank you so much, I have forgotten to check all of the hooks...............and yes..............

the griffiin order hook is much more to the top than all the others wich are in the middle of the bar!!!!!!!

So this should now really be the ribbon for a griffin with crown and so it should be unlucky H?rnis!!!!!!!!