News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe RLM, Pioneer, and members attached to the Luftschutz

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2009/post-2778-1231371201.jpgAnd finally, since I've only found one envelope in my "easy to get to area", here's a blown-up candid photo of Milch, Busch (I believe) and others on Goering's train. I promise to keep looking.

I have a couple of Luftschutz passbooks.

I've wondered, has anyone often encountered Luftwaffe members attached to the Luftschutz being awarded the Luftschutz medal?

I have not seen anything like this before. I would be interested in knowing the answer tot his question as well... I would think that such a member would get the KVK2(the Luftschutz medal was given for both merit/valor as well as LS, if I remember correctly).

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2009/post-2778-1231371678.jpgA little better.

Thanks for the photos Harrier! I look forward to seeing the blow ups. The one of HG is very interesting. My first thought was that the black tabs where from the Pre LW days, but the HG photo proves otherwise. I hope to see some more detailed images when you get a chance1

Thank you again!

Thanks for the photos Harrier! I look forward to seeing the blow ups. The one of HG is very interesting. My first thought was that the black tabs where from the Pre LW days, but the HG photo proves otherwise. I hope to see some more detailed images when you get a chance1

Thank you again!

I have a photo of Milch as Generaloberst wearing the black backed tabs....at the moment I can't locate it, but will poke around until I find it. I do have it posted on my website in the "Luftwaffe GFM" section.

I do know that Goring also had tabs made with a backing color to match his uniform, as well as direct embroidered to the collar. I don't know if we'll ever truly know the amount of variants Hermann had for his uniforms, as he changed them several times each day.

I have a photo of Milch as Generaloberst wearing the black backed tabs....at the moment I can't locate it, but will poke around until I find it. I do have it posted on my website in the "Luftwaffe GFM" section.

I do know that Goring also had tabs made with a backing color to match his uniform, as well as direct embroidered to the collar. I don't know if we'll ever truly know the amount of variants Hermann had for his uniforms, as he changed them several times each day.

In all candor, I have to say that among the hundreds and hundreds of photos in this collection we obtained were several photos of Reichsmarschall insignia, actually being worn, which match NOTHING ever seen before. I hate to be a "tease", but I am afraid that if they are ever published, then we will see, within 6 months, copies being sold as real and no one will be able to refute them. One of our photos was actually published, in the old Halcomb book on headgear, and shows the Reichsmarschall cap (the one with the embroidery running all around the cap band) on the day it was delivered from eReL. These other photos are from the same time period, in my opinion.

Hermann had more uniforms, and insignia made especially for him, than any other person in the Third Reich, and I would be surprised at NOTHING I saw in photos of him.

In all candor, I have to say that among the hundreds and hundreds of photos in this collection we obtained were several photos of Reichsmarschall insignia, actually being worn, which match NOTHING ever seen before. I hate to be a "tease", but I am afraid that if they are ever published, then we will see, within 6 months, copies being sold as real and no one will be able to refute them. One of our photos was actually published, in the old Halcomb book on headgear, and shows the Reichsmarschall cap (the one with the embroidery running all around the cap band) on the day it was delivered from eReL. These other photos are from the same time period, in my opinion.

Hermann had more uniforms, and insignia made especially for him, than any other person in the Third Reich, and I would be surprised at NOTHING I saw in photos of him.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I've yet to see any reproductions of Goring's insignia that even begins to approach the quality of the original items. I've you've ever had an opportunity to examine Gorings insignia you'll realize there is nobody capable of producing anything like it these days....it is truly a lost art. Even his breast eagles are superior to anything you will see on a Luft General.

I would be interested to talk further about these, if you'd care to engage me: mike@themarshalsbaton.com

I agree with you on the embroidered insignia. The ones in the photographs, however, are in metal and I worry very much about capabilities in THAT area.

No offense, but I think the limited numbers of people who collect his effects are probably savy enough to question anything new that would appear without any provenance. I've seen pics of metal collar devices of his before, in fact I believe there is one published in Angolia's book.

I am, regretably, more suspicious than you. There is enough of his stuff floating around that it would be, in my opinion, fairly easy to insert these into such a grouping (say, from the train looted by members of the 506 P.I.R., and others). Just to narrow it down, though, these are of shoulder, not collar, insignia. If I can find a photo that shows something, but not enough to duplicate precisely, I will show it here tonight. Some photos are really excellent and would be "enough" to make them again.

I am, regretably, more suspicious than you. There is enough of his stuff floating around that it would be, in my opinion, fairly easy to insert these into such a grouping (say, from the train looted by members of the 506 P.I.R., and others). Just to narrow it down, though, these are of shoulder, not collar, insignia. If I can find a photo that shows something, but not enough to duplicate precisely, I will show it here tonight. Some photos are really excellent and would be "enough" to make them again.

Well, there have been some shoulderboards going around for years that have been labeled as fakes because they haven't been documented in original photographs. You may actually help clear that up.

Again, you are welcome to email me privately to discuss, if you are concerned about this being public. You can also visit my site, which is linked in my signature below, if you would like to see good reference on Gorings insignia (and a number of other high ranks).

Mike

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2009/post-2778-1231891370.jpgHere you go. Edda playing with Daddy's PLM. Note the shoulder board.

It's really hard to see much of anything in that low res photo. I've been presented with other fuzzy photos of these boards in which other collectors were trying to discern whether it was a variant or not and there has just never been a good, clear and clean shot that can verify anything.

I will say one thing; that grand cross sure looks odd in this photo, almost as if it was retouched....it is just so stark!

I have already been to your EXCELLENT site. In fact, you have one of my caps amongst your photos. :rolleyes:

Well then, we must already know each other? Either that or the cap has made the rounds of ownership.

Well, sorry it's low resolution, but these are, again, photographs taken of "contact sheets" composed of actual glossy minature prints, all 35mm size, and then enlarged. I can assure you that this IS a variant and that no touching up whatsoever has been done. The GC and PLM are both perfectly normal.

I would be glad to enlarge this, but quite frankly don't know how with the small photo size allowed. Send me your e-mail in a PM and I will be glad to send this to you and you can perhaps "re-show" it here.