News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe RLM, Pioneer, and members attached to the Luftschutz

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Bob!

Thanks for sharing those great shoulder boards. There were actually two cases where the "LS" cyphers were used. The case you mentioned and the second, with a black waffenfarbe, for LW men assigned to the Luftschultz.

This set you posted is actually the latter, a Luftwaffe NCO attached to the Luftschutz.

• 1 month later...

And just to add a little bit more about the above cap, as it turns out (thanks Gene) this cap is

a postwar put together, and as such I have returned it to the source in Germany that I was buying in from.

Bob

• 2 months later...

"Pioneer and bautruppen, is that two words for the same thing? "

No, not really. In short: Pioniere (like Fallschirm-Pioniere) were combat troops used for attack of fortifications and clearing of mine fields. Baupioniere were Engineers that build and repaired structures like bridges. Both wore the black Waffenfarbe.

Regards, Hardy

Unusual post - I'm responding to one of my own posts to correct myself (well, partially anyway).

My statement above is correct - except were I say that Baupioniere and Fallschirmpioniere wore the same Waffenfarbe (black piping and tabs).

I now believe that Fallschirmj?ger of all trades with perhaps the exception of medical personell, wore the yellow Waffenfarbe.

Looking at pictures of my father I thought that his collar tabs were black during the time he was a combat engineer in a Fallschirm-Pionier-Bataillon. Later he was transfered to a Fallschirm-Panzer-J?ger-Abteilung and the pictures show a much lighter Waffenfarbe (yellow).

Since I never asked my father while he was alive, I assumed that once he was transferred from the combat engineers to a paratrooper anti tank battalion the black tabs were exchanged for yellow ones.

Last week I was scanning more of his pictures and noticed that in some pics the apparently black tabs seemed much lighter, I then checked pictures of flight officers of the Luftwaffe (yellow tabs) and noticed that very dark appearing tabs are not uncommon. That led me to start a thread over at the WAF.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=242698

To some of you this might be a non-event, but to me it's a discovery

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

• 4 months later...

Hello

This cloth patch might not have any relevance to this discussion, but I thought that I could show it anyway. It's the insignia of L-BAU (Luft-Bau). I have been told, that it was used on civillian work clothes, by civillians employed by the Luftwaffe, for construction jobs.

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

• 1 month later...

Hello

This cloth patch might not have any relevance to this discussion, but I thought that I could show it anyway. It's the insignia of L-BAU (Luft-Bau). I have been told, that it was used on civillian work clothes, by civillians employed by the Luftwaffe, for construction jobs.

Snoopy

Hi Snoopy,

The patch is very relevant. It is a construction based LW civilian organization. I will have to do an article on those men as well!

I wanted to add my newest tunic to the thread.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Harvy,

Very interesting read, on all accounts. I,for one, thought that Bautruppen were the same as pioneers. Why could color photography not been invented and perfected 7 years earlier....

• 4 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...

Paul, thanks for your swift response.

Scott, you noticed the two Spanish awards!

The bar came with the tunic but it has no loops, just pinned through, and I do not know if it is original to the tunic. There are no markings of any kind (probably as one would expect) inside the tunic.

The buttons are Ludenscheid marked and have split pins on reverse.

A full frontal!

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2009/post-2778-1231370772.jpgPaul,

I'm not much good to you right this moment, but here is a sample of what I'm talking about. Many years ago, a friend of mine and I obtained over a hundred pages of contact sheets (positives) of photos taken by Goering's private photographer. We had these re-photographed by a professional photographer and then blown up. SOMEWHERE, I have all the envelopes of these photos, but I just can't get to them all right now. Here's a sample page of what we were dealing with.

Harrier