News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FBI make the First Stolen Valor Arrest.

First ?STOLEN VALOR? arrest reported

The F.B.I.has announced its first arrest based on the recently passed Stolen Valor Act.

Louis Lowell McGuinn, who posed as an elite member of the Army Special Forces, could face a year in prison as the first person prosecuted under the Act.

Lewis Lowell McGuinn, a Vietnam vet, represented himself as ex-Special Forces and recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross. He faces a year in jail for his lie.

McGuinn was a regular at military galas, posing with a gleaming chest full of medals that symbolized a life of valor.

McGuinn was caught by Mark Kimey, a veteran, when he recognized something wasn't right with McGuinn?s uniform at a military ball. He was wearing the Purple Heart, the Silver Star and the Distinguished Service Cross incorrectly. Kimey notified the Special Forces Headquarters and the 40-year lie started to unravel.

Manhattan federal prosecutors used a brand new law to charge McGuinn with posing as a war hero - making the Flushing, Queens, man one of the first in the New York region to face prosecution under the Stolen Valor Act. The law, which took effect in January, makes it a felony to falsely claim to have received an award authorized for members of the U.S. armed forces.

McGuinn did actually serve in Vietnam and was a private when he was discharged from the Army in 1968. Over the years, however, he ?promoted? himself up to lieutenant colonel to help him win lucrative security consulting contracts, according to prosecuters.

McGuinn, also also known as Lowell Craig McGuinn, faces a year in jail. He was released on $5,000 bond after a brief court hearing.

- - - - END OF ARTICLE - - - -

Many more out there to be "Named and Shamed".

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Guest Rick Research

File this away and wait to see if there is EVER any followup.

I very much doubt there will ever be a trial or conviction or penalty.

Over the years, however, he ?promoted? himself up to lieutenant colonel to help him win lucrative security consulting contracts

I think he can kiss these goodbye :rolleyes:

I doubt very much if he'll serve the full year, four months at most.

At least it's a start.

Personally - I'd just like heaps of shame for this jerk. Just look at him! Perhaps a court ordered round of speaking engagements at VFW halls, Army Posts - even better - how about a lightning tour of Iraq...

Blood is boiling - better stop now...

Hi all, as a Retired member of the US Army, I have no time for these people what so ever!!! I've known a few like him (not as bad) in my 23 years in the army and they should get the max fine/sentence IMHO.

Take care!

Greg

I know everyone is taking great hormonal joy in venting their wrath, but may I just say that I mainly feel sorry for this pitiful specimen. Frankly, I think ridicule is more appropriate than judicial punishment. Other countries (such as Australia) have taken this route with great success. Maybe Americans just like lawyers and punishment more than others do?

Moreover, the so-called "Stolen Valor" legislative abomination has nothing to do with this, other than it may have been the legal excuse. Old laws could have caught him in his "crime" just as easily. The new law has allowed some self-appointed "patriots", both in and out of Congress, to feel self-righteous by assaulting pitiful "Walter Mitty" wanna-bes and legitimate medal collectors alike.

I see little here to celebrate, much to pity, on all sides.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Ed,

I acknowledge much of what you have said and respect your logic, attitude and right to your opinion.

That said, as one who wore that uniform or its antecedents for 32 years I must take exception to your position.

At issue here is not a sick personality although that may be a component.

What is at issue is friends, classmates and associates who wore that uniform and died in it. The reward for service this individual pretended was often scorn. Thankfully, those days seem past ? unfortunately too late for many damaged souls. They ? those who served ? do not deserve to share their honor with the likes of this man.

Furthermore ? this individual used his shameful masquerade for monetary profit.

I am well aware of the ludicrous nature of the ?stolen valor? act and the threat it poses to collectors but ? this individual deserves no pity. This individual dishonors those who served and deserves harsh consequences for his behavior. As stated earlier ? I prefer heavy doses of scorn and humiliation. If that is not to happen then throw the book ? any book - at him!

Respectfully,

wem

I know everyone is taking great hormonal joy in venting their wrath, but may I just say that I mainly feel sorry for this pitiful specimen. Frankly, I think ridicule is more appropriate than judicial punishment. Other countries (such as Australia) have taken this route with great success. Maybe Americans just like lawyers and punishment more than others do?

Moreover, the so-called "Stolen Valor" legislative abomination has nothing to do with this, other than it may have been the legal excuse. Old laws could have caught him in his "crime" just as easily. The new law has allowed some self-appointed "patriots", both in and out of Congress, to feel self-righteous by assaulting pitiful "Walter Mitty" wanna-bes and legitimate medal collectors alike.

I see little here to celebrate, much to pity, on all sides.

Edited by W McSwiggan

Thankfully, I dont think that I have ever met anyone like this.

People like this have a serious lack of self worth.

Unfortunately I have Paul, though at least he wasn't passing himself off as a war hero. I was at a UN bash in Canberra and a gent who claimed to have served in the British and Australian army collared me. He probably thought that because I was a sailor I wouldn't know my medals. He was wearing shop bought commemorative miniatures, but trying to pass them off as government issue. When I questioned this he made excuses and legged it.

I reported it to the Servicemens club manager, though I don't know if they took action. We have similar laws in Australia, but they have turned out to be a bit of a toothless tiger.

Regards;

Johnsy

When the Cheshire Regiment exercised their Freedom of the Borough of Crewe & Nantwich (i.e. paraded through it with bayonets fixed & drums beating) where I live, I naturally went to see the fun... and encountered a bloke who was wearing a motley selection of miniatures which would have indicated a lot of courage... if they weren't so muddled and quite incorrectly worn! Being with a group of veterans and some of the local 'great and good' I pointed out this fellow and we had a loud and very obvious laugh at him... he retreated rather hastily & has not been seen at anything military-related since!

When it rains, it pours. Here is our local fraud, discovered late last week.

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/212810-3/R...y_false_claims/

Vets' memorial event disrupted by false claims

By Eileen M. Adams and Mary Delamater , Staff Writer Staff Editor

Friday, May 18, 2007

PHOTO GALLERY

? Previous | Next ?

thumbnails | gallery

| Buy a Print

RUMFORD - The dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial for Oxford County servicemen has been postponed because police are concerned someone may harm fundraiser Earl "Scott" May, who fraudulently portrayed himself as a Vietnam veteran.

"I can't explain why I did it. I guess I felt I could relate better (to Vietnam veterans) if I did that. But I don't want my three kids to catch flak for what I did," May, 45, of Main Street, said Thursday.

May and Len Greaney have been working for six months to raise $11,500 for a black granite stone with 38 names to be dedicated Saturday at Rumford's Veterans Memorial Park. Donations were deposited directly into an account earmarked for the memorial, Greaney said.

"I was heartbroken. All of us felt betrayed," Greaney said Thursday, "but Scott did do a lot of work."

He said he and May decided to cancel the event because local police were concerned someone might do something crazy if they found out May was not a Vietnam veteran.

"I accept full responsibility, but in no way should that deter from the hard work I and Len have done. The vets are still my friends," said May, who is president of the Oxford County chapter of the United Bikers of Maine.

"No one should pat me on the back, but they should not kick me in the ass, either," he said.

May said the road to deception about his military record started in 1991 after he was released from federal prison in Danbury, Conn., for misusing a passport.

"I lived my life as someone older than I was because I wanted to put things behind me," he said.

May said he served in the 101st Airborne Division, 2nd Infantry Division and the 1st Ranger Battalion of the U.S. Army from 1979 to 1986, is disabled and suffers from post-traumatic stress from his military service.

His military record could not be confirmed Thursday.

He said he moved to Maine 15 years ago and has lived in the Mexico area for 12 years.

Oxford County Deputy Sheriff Dane Tripp, a Marine veteran who served in Vietnam, said Thursday that May's deception came to light the previous Thursday during a meeting of police agencies planning for the memorial dedication that was to include the governor, the Maine National Guard commander, Maine Congressman Mike Michaud and Sheriff Wayne Gallant, another Vietnam veteran from the U.S. Army.

Tripp said when May's name was brought up, one of the agents in the room recognized it ,and from there his story unraveled.

Gallant said May told him he had been on Hamburger Hill, a 10-day battle in 1969 that was one of the fiercest of the Vietnam war.

"After learning his date of birth was 1961," the sheriff said, he "realized this guy was 8 years old when Hamburger Hill took place. The stories and proclamations were all false.

"It's too bad because the cause he was representing was an extremely important one. It's not just a message to remember these 38. This was a welcoming time," something Vietnam veterans never got when they returned. "It's very disturbing," he said.

Rumford's acting police Chief Mark Cayer, who was at the law enforcement planning meeting, confronted May on Monday, Tripp said. At that time, May initially denied he lied about the Vietnam service and birth year - 1951 - but eventually recanted, Tripp said.

"(May's lies are) why all this stuff was canceled," Tripp said.

On Wednesday, Greaney said the dedication was being postponed because the speakers, including the governor, withdrew, the United Bikers backed out and the weather was going to be bad, according to a story published Thursday in the Sun Journal.

Gov. John Baldacci did cancel his appearance, partly because he was having trouble attending all the events on his schedule that day, but also because there was concern over May, said David Farmer, a spokesman for the governor.

"We heard there were some questions about the nature of the event and one of the organizers," Farmer said Thursday.

Gallant said it was postponed because "There was a safety issue here. We were so nervous that if this got out, we didn't know what the reaction would be. The guy presenting it is a liar.

"We were so concerned because of the families involved" and "the diverse type of groups from all over the county expected to attend. You can't guess what everybody would do when emotions are this high. Hopefully, it could go on, but, hopefully, this guy would not be present."

He said May has no criminal history in Maine.

Tripp said the deception really hit a personal nerve with him.

"It makes me feel very, very upset in the sense that I started to cry because all of my friends," such as David Seamon. "We were there six months, and he got killed.

"It really irks me because a lot of good people have done some good things since they got back, and to have some idiot pretend to be something he's not, especially when there was such a great attitude about this monument and everyone was very proud of it ... and (it) gives them the respect they deserve, and now it's all squashed because of some idiot who wants to play Army. I'm very disappointed."

A smaller dedication ceremony will take place as part of Memorial Day ceremonies May 28, Greaney said.

Among the activities that had been planned was a motorcycle roar-in, including members of the United Bikers of Maine, many of whom are Vietnam veterans. That event will not take place during the May 28 ceremonies. May would not say why.

Fremont Tibbetts, the father Vietnam veteran Bruce Tibbetts, whose name is on the memorial, said May's efforts got people together.

"Everything Scott wrote about Bruce was true. We opened our hearts up to him," Tibbetts said of a series of articles May wrote about several Vietnam veterans who had been killed during the war.

Tibbetts said he doesn't believe Saturday's dedication should have been canceled.

"The men that were with my son were coming to the dedication," he said. "It's a shame."

Typical, when the "Walter Mitty" types get caught the all plead "Guilty with an excuse your honour". :banger:

Whether he helped raise money for the memorial or not the man is still a liar. :angry:

I think prison time is called for.

Typical, when the "Walter Mitty" types get caught the all plead "Guilty with an excuse your honour". :banger:

Whether he helped raise money for the memorial or not the man is still a liar. :angry:

I think prison time is called for.

I agree with you. I am kinda surprised that he was not discovered earlier. Heck, he was only eight at the time of the battle. I would have figured that the REAL veteran's would have noticed that he was a bit younger looking than expected?

Guest Rick Research

Now id only somebody would apply the same standard to our ongoing pretenders in CONGRESS.

Likewise the mediocre self-seekers lurking in our Parliament!

However, in this latest example, I think gaol time would be a bit harsh for someone who did not seek financial or other gain by his impersonation... he did, after all, just seek to blend in with the vets for whom he was fund-raising. Now, if he'd run off with the money that would be another story, but the memorial got built. Probation & counselling would be more in order.

So what if he built a memorial - you dont have to be a liar to do that. Rick - he is just on the fast track for Congress...after he does his slap on the hand, sign him up for the House, he'll fit right in...

but - if you want to see what helping veterans and doing things to honor those who have fallen - follow this example...

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18488

Edited by hunyadi

• 2 weeks later...

If we are going to start sending people to jail for, what is essentially lying, I want to see all of our politicians in jail. They lie to our faces on a daily basis and call it spin. Spin is a euphemism for lying, so, send them all, I say! As an American, I had to bear watching a President get convicted of perjury without consequence (other than humiliation). If I was convicted of perjury, I would have been sent to jail. We all know who I am talking about.

In the case of the fake Vietnam Vet, he probably has no self-esteem, and needs a therapist. Jail is extreme. Jail is supposed to protect society from dangerous individuals, not house people with mental problems.

The creep who misrepresented himself as a Colonel to win contracts should go to jail for fraud. I wonder if the supposed Colonel could have went to jail in the past for fraud, by misrepresenting himself, to win these contracts. If so, this is another example of law overlap and politicians patting themselves on the back...it's the same thing as creating new gun laws when the laws already on the books could be enforced enough to combat what the new laws are trying to do.

I really think most legislation today is an excuse for politicians to slap on some pork at the last minute. Most of this pork would never get passed on its own, hence ties to important legislation. Just my two cents.

Yank

Edited by yank44

Hallo Yank44, :cheers:

just a reminder, while we appreciate comments and replys to the topics posted, but there is a strict "No Politics" rule here at G.M.I.C.

I made the intial post with regards a person, a former soldier misrepresenting himself, this man did not hold an elected office or a high postion of any political party.

What members of the U.S. Government do or other U.S. Officials and Politicians has no bearing on this thread unless they are contravening the law with regards the Stolen Valour Act.

What members of the U.S. Government do or other U.S. Officials and Politicians has no bearing on this thread unless they are contravening the law with regards the Stolen Valour Act.

Or, perhaps, if they were responsible for shoving this monstrosity through into law?

Or, perhaps, if they were responsible for shoving this monstrosity through into law?

Hallo Ed :beer:

I understand your reasons with regards this, because you have been the most active in informing the medal community what crass nonsense the so called "Stolen Valour Act" was in the first place, however i do think we have to stick to the no politics guide-lines as set down by the GMIC Chairman.