News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Roughly translated from v. Hessenthal, established on 27 June 1871 in rememberance of Queen Olga during the Franco-Prussian War to be awarded to men, women, and maidens for merit for volunteer work in the field in wartime or peace.

Hello folks:

Tom is correct in his translation. However, I believe to be more specific, in reality, these awards went to field nurses (on bow ribbons) and were also awarded to doctors and other medical personel. I further believe that awards were made for activities well beyond the 1870/71 conflict (but it seems that awards had practically ceased by the start of WWI).

Best regards,

"SPM"

Thanks guys--that's great info; it almost appears to be a rough equivalent to the Prussian Cross for Ladies and Young Women from the same timeframe, if I had to venture a quick guess.

Much appreciated!

Gaffken :rock on:

I saw a fabulous cased example of this very rare order for sale in Germany this week. I believe it was Uwe Bretzendorfer

It sure is - on Uwe?s site and fabulous! :love:

Uwe?s example is to a male recipient. Below is an example awarded to a woman. So you see Gaffken, with reference to your post #5, the obvious difference between the Prussian Cross for Ladies and Young Women and the Olga Order is that Prussian award was for females exclusively while the W?rttemberg award went to both males and females.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

Beautiful cross Wild Card! Not only is it the first ladies version I've seen in quite some time, but it's also easy to see the humanitarian and 'Red Cross roots' from your's, most evident in the rich enamel work. (I don't think I've seen one quite that vibrant before!)

:cheers:

Gaffken

Thank you Gaffken. There is an obvious pride of workmanship in these pieces. I doubt that more than 500 were awarded (it is known that only 450 were awarded to 1876) in total through 1915, so they did not exactly have to churn them out. My cross has a replacement suspension ring. Normally, the women?s crosses have an elongated suspension ring, similar to the one found on the Prussian Cross for Ladies and Young Women, which accommodates the pass through style bow; but, with the ?se in the plane of the cross, this cross is correct as a woman?s award. The men?s crosses have the ?se at 90 degrees to the plane of the cross.

Until recently, these crosses have gone relatively unappreciated, but it seems that some notice of them has been taken lately - maybe it?s the Olga/Russian connection. :P

Thank you again and Best Wishes, :cheers:

Wild Card

Thank you Gerd.

The use of the Kleeblattkreuz form, or style, is quite unique among Imperial German decorations; although it was used again, actually continued would be more accurate, by W?rttemberg with the Charlottenkreuz from 1916 to 1918.

I was trying to recall if I have ever seen a mini Olga - I can not remember any, can you? Now that would be real nice, wouldn?t it? :jumping:

Best wishes,

Wild Card :beer: