News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Quick Question - about Moscow

Heres a question for any one who has been to Moscow recently:

I am going to Moscow in July, when I was last there in 2003 most places accepted dollars as well as roubles, but with the current devalution of the dollar are they still as willing to accept dollars :unsure:

Any help appriciated

Order of Victory

As a Canadian, I do not have any US dollars or Euros while travelling. I always took Russian rubles at the ATM machines without any problem when I was in Russia.

I don't know why you should exchange your UK pounds for US dollars while travelling to Russia. We are not in the 1990's anymore. ;)

Bryan is right. The best is to take RR at the ATM. But, as you may need a lot of them (credit cards are not so well accepted in Moscow, where a "cash" tradition remains, and where tips are to be paid in cash) it is not a bad idea to bring with you some other currency (as Euros...).

Ch.

When I was there in 2003 all the street sellers only accepted dollars, and we were only aloud to take in to Russia dollars that were brand new and unused and we could not fold them or else they would be rejected :speechless1:

Funny, I was for the first time in Moscow in 2003 as well and I only had Russian rubles on me. I never used a single dollar. By the way, at the ATM machines you can choose between RR or $ when you want take some cash. Maybe you can take Euros as well from the ATM machines.

Funny, I was for the first time in Moscow in 2003 as well and I only had Russian rubles on me. I never used a single dollar. By the way, at the ATM machines you can choose between RR or $ when you want take some cash. Maybe you can take Euros as well from the ATM machines.

As far as I remember, I don't think you can get Euros from ATM machines in Moscow...

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

There is no problem.

Dollars will accept everywhere. Euro and pounds - too.

Only at an exchange of pound for roubles in Moscow you will lose more, than at an exchange of dollar in Moscow.

Was in Moscow 2 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a question for any one who has been to Moscow recently:

I am going to Moscow in July, when I was last there in 2003 most places accepted dollars as well as roubles, but with the current devalution of the dollar are they still as willing to accept dollars :unsure:

Any help appriciated

Order of Victory

Today in Russia cash calculations in a foreign currency are forbidden. It is necessary for you to exchange currency for roubles.

I do not know your route, but I give advice to visit a market in Izmaylovo. It works in Sunday and Saturday from 10-17 .You can see and buy interesting things on Russian and German military things .

Yours faithfully Sergey

Thank you Sergey :cheers:

An thanks for the tip on the market Izmaylovo, i will defintley be paying that a visit :D

Order of Victory

When you will return I shall wait for your impressions .

Hi Sergey

Well returned back from Moscow on Sunday but it has took till know to get my Broadband back on :banger:

I was Very impressed with the Market espesialy by the amount of different things you can buy :love: But I found some great things that I will post in a different thread :D BTW the Forigen Book store has some great Soviet Books ;)

Order of Victory

Hi Sergey

Well returned back from Moscow on Sunday but it has took till know to get my Broadband back on :banger:

I was Very impressed with the Market espesialy by the amount of different things you can buy :love: But I found some great things that I will post in a different thread :D BTW the Forigen Book store has some great Soviet Books ;)

Greetings, with returning Order of Victory.

I am glad that was pleasant to you. I sometimes buy here very interesting things .

Order of Victory

I was in Izmailovo market last Saturday, and for the first time, I have been here openly (not under cover) proposed a few Soviet Orders (Red banner of Labour, Badge of Honour...). But beware, there were also a number of good quality copies...

There were also more "basic" soviet medals proposed than the last time I visited it (April 2007)...

Cheers.

Ch.