News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Gold Dollar

Paul,

Your very right. Thats one thing I find very strange about gold coins with values on them that, they will never worth there face value, unless gold prices plummet which is highly unlikley. Example a $50 gold coin will cost you around ?350 (the same as a Krugerrrand), and not even near $50??? So I doubt anyone one in their right mind would go down to their local shop, and buy a pint of milk, then try & pay with a $5 gold coin. Not if they`ve got any sense anyway ho,ho,ho.

Gordon.

I don't think this one was legal trender anyway, so you're safe. ;)

Yes, they are legal tender. But, no one will use them for everyday use. Same deal with silver dollars, legal tender, but who will use them for that?? The silver dollars make great gifts for a reasonable price.

Gordon, the commemorative coins are really nice too. I collect an example of all Proof dollars and half dollars as they are released. Gold is really expensive, but I have a few of these $5 dollar pieces stored somewhere.

That would be a shop keeper's dream come true...

How many pieces of gold currency do you own?

Hi Paul,

That`s a very interesting question, I`d say I`ve got about 7 ounces of gold in coin form, most of which is made up of sovereigns, from various years & mints, a few of the RMS Douro wreck & Gulf War I. The rest is made up of Swiss Francs, Gelders, Krugerrands & US dollars. Gold being the price it is its taken me a few years to put my collection together. The price I end up paying these days for a half sovereign, is what I was paying for a full sovereign, when I first started out!!! :speechless1:

Gordon.

Yes, they are legal tender. But, no one will use them for everyday use. Same deal with silver dollars, legal tender, but who will use them for that?? The silver dollars make great gifts for a reasonable price.

Gordon, the commemorative coins are really nice too. I collect an example of all Proof dollars and half dollars as they are released. Gold is really expensive, but I have a few of these $5 dollar pieces stored somewhere.

Jim, I`m inclined to agree with you there. The price of gold is getting silly. I`ve just moved over to silver dollars myself. I saw an interesting silver dollar, from Wisconsin 2004. I was going to buy it, as it was only a ?10 for an ounce of silver, what put me off was the fact that it had replica on the back, it was certainly made of solid silver, I assume the replica refered to the fact that the coin, was a replica of the general circulation type? But I might be wrong can you shine any light on it? I`ll try and dig out a few pictures.

Gordon.