News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Allied Propaganda to Discourage U-Boat Volunteers

I have two interesting artifacts apparenty used by the Allies to discourage U-Boat enlistment. It would be appreciated if anyone has information as to how these were used.

The first is a "comic book" approach telling the sad story of 18-year-old G?nther Harthmuth's short career in the U-Bootwaffe.

Guest Rick Research

Interesting...

the covers give a "first glance" appearance that they are actual GERMAN publications... only upon opening or reading the text is the trcik revealed.

I have two interesting artifacts apparenty used by the Allies to discourage U-Boat enlistment.

Very nice Eric. I was going through a box of paper today and came across a photocopy of the same cartoon. I don't remember where I got it but it was probably 30 years ago. I have seen both items before but I don't know much else about them.

Richard

Hello,

Very nice propaganda items you have ! I own 2 of the pull down propaganda cards and I have them on display in my Tauchretter collection . I like them next to my tauchretters as a way of showing what can happen to a u-boat sailor if his boat is attacked and sunk , you may need your tauchretter as a life saver or drown ! This pull down card has some vivid graphics for the would be u-boat crewmen !

This is what info I have on this pull down propaganda card:

It was produced by the P.W.E. agency and was first dropped by British planes on the night of 05/06 April 1942 and the last time it was dropped by the RAF was on the night of 04/05 September 1942 and is approx. 10 cm x 20 cm .

The other u-boat propaganda comic book type I have been looking for since 1977 ! I first saw a small copy of this in the book THE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC by TERRY HUGHES and JOHN COSTELLO , 1977 and found on page 290 . If you ever want to sell this please let me know , I have a nice home for it between 2 more tauchretters ;-)

This 4 pager was also produced by the P.W.E. AGENCY A in 1942 and first dropped by the RAF on the night of 10/11 April 1942 and the last night drop by the RAF was on 02/03 1942 .

Very nive items and thank you for the close up detailed pictures ! Here is a shot of my 2 pull down cards .

Joe,

Nice Tauchretter display, including the two pull-down propaganda pieces!

Thank you very much for the information regarding the production and distribution of these pieces. I don't know anything about the P.W.E. agancy, but I'll begin my research.

Will most certainly keep you in mind if I decide to sell my "comic book".

Best Regards,

Erik

Hello,

Very nice propaganda items you have ! I own 2 of the pull down propaganda cards and I have them on display in my Tauchretter collection . I like them next to my tauchretters as a way of showing what can happen to a u-boat sailor if his boat is attacked and sunk , you may need your tauchretter as a life saver or drown ! This pull down card has some vivid graphics for the would be u-boat crewmen !

This is what info I have on this pull down propaganda card:

It was produced by the P.W.E. agency and was first dropped by British planes on the night of 05/06 April 1942 and the last time it was dropped by the RAF was on the night of 04/05 September 1942 and is approx. 10 cm x 20 cm .

The other u-boat propaganda comic book type I have been looking for since 1977 ! I first saw a small copy of this in the book THE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC by TERRY HUGHES and JOHN COSTELLO , 1977 and found on page 290 . If you ever want to sell this please let me know , I have a nice home for it between 2 more tauchretters ;-)

This 4 pager was also produced by the P.W.E. AGENCY A in 1942 and first dropped by the RAF on the night of 10/11 April 1942 and the last night drop by the RAF was on 02/03 1942 .

Very nive items and thank you for the close up detailed pictures ! Here is a shot of my 2 pull down cards .

Edited by Erik Krogh

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Erik,

here are some other allied propaganda flyers from my collection.

Please note the text "LUFTPOST" (airmail).

Had someone more information about this flyers?

Best regards,

Monsun

Hello Erik,

here are some other allied propaganda flyers from my collection.

Please note the text "LUFTPOST" (airmail).

Had someone more information about this flyers?

Best regards,

Monsun

Hello ,

This propaganda LUFTPOST EXTRABLATT was printed in England in 1943 . Here is some info on it :

Print date :1943

Production agency : P.W.E ( Political Warfare Executive )

Pages : 2

First dropped over Germany : Night of 09/10 July 1943

Last dropped over Germany : Night of 30/31 August 1943

Second flyer

Hello ,

This propaganda flyer with the image of D?nitz was printed in England in 1942 . Here is some info on this leaflet :

Printed :1942

Pages:2

Production Agency : P.W.E.

First night drop over Germany : 06/07 October 1942

Last night drop : 21/22 December 1942