News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just received the following papers regarding a MMM.

Be grateful if anyone could offer information as to what it means. (Afraid my foreign language skill is limited to French.) Thanks.

Edited by Rich

Dear Rich,

is it possible to provide a bit larger exposures of the documents - our expert Rick might have difficulties to read all the details.

Many thanks :cheers: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hello Christian,

Unfortunately, the forum picture size limit means these are the largest possible size to be posted. If someone would PM me their email address, I could send larger versions.

I'd be quite happy with just the individual's details and mention of for what the award was made; not expecting anyone to translate it verbatim. :cheers:

Rich

Until you get promoted, the small image size will be a problem. Why not scan the documents a piece as at time, in partial page scans. I, too, fear what you have given isn't going to be at all legible.

Until you get promoted, the small image size will be a problem. Why not scan the documents a piece as at time, in partial page scans. I, too, fear what you have given isn't going to be at all legible.

Thanks Ed.

Christian has already very kindly offered to translate the pics, but if anyone wants enlarged pics of sections I'd be more than happy to provide them.

Btw: The letter was postmarked as sent 30 June and only arrived today - 14 July - quite some time for essentially European mail (except when sending postcards, obviously, they always take forever).

Thanks Ed.

Christian has already very kindly offered to translate the pics, but if anyone wants enlarged pics of sections I'd be more than happy to provide them.

Btw: The letter was postmarked as sent 30 June and only arrived today - 14 July - quite some time for essentially European mail (except when sending postcards, obviously, they always take forever).

Dear Rich,

get a "subscribing membership" at GMIC for a (very) few pounds - that helps :D .

Christian

Dear Rich,

get a "subscribing membership" at GMIC for a (very) few pounds - that helps :D .

Christian

Thanks for all you help, Christian, much appreciated.

Guest Rick Research

Rich: Are you using a camera or a scanner? 150dpi zoomed in close and cropping all unnecessary blank areas works fine, with Epson scanners which allow YOU to size in one step and not get bogged down in endless adjusting with other HAL2000 machines that scan the way THEY want, and your problem to adjust.

Ekaterina Ivanovna Zabashtanskaya was a Yefreiter and commander of regulations post (?) "DO-74 VAD-18". Born 1919 in the Ukraine and member of the Komsomol. In the Red Army since 17.11.42 called up from (?) in the Azerbaijani SSR, at front since 1943. Not wounded, no previous awards.

The general drift of the citation is for being well organized in whatever she did at whatever that unit turns out to have been, but it is not readable in these scans: something about efficiently dealing with over 300 men and 100 rations/supplies (vehicles ? the word "podvod" awkwardly used would probably Babelfisch incorrectly as "submarines" but that is NOT the correct meaning :speechless1: ) a day, and also being reliable politically. Authorized by (?) 1st Ukrainian Front.

I really cannot read anything else from scans this bad. Try the setting mentioned above or if your scanner can't... throw it away and get an Epson. :cheers:

Hi Rick

I was using a scanner - a Cannon one. I'll try to enhance some of the writing as you suggest and repost some of the pieces asap.

Thanks also for the information you managed to glean from the documents as they presently are. Interesting that it was to a woman - presumably in the logistics corps?

(Already placed an order for the early Bravery Medal (Leningrad Front) to be researched; getting the works with that one, as it should be interesting.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the following papers regarding a MMM.

Be grateful if anyone could offer information as to what it means. (Afraid my foreign language skill is limited to French.) Thanks.

Give good pictures on my mail I shall make translation

Wenez58@mail.ru

Give good pictures on my mail I shall make translation

Wenez58@mail.ru

Thank you very much for the offer, Sergey. I have been away for the week, so apologise for my late reply to your offer.

I have just received a translation and will post the information here:

Corporal Zabashtanskaya, Ekaterina Ivanovna, Chief of traffic/road control post, Road and Commandant's Office No. 74, Military Automobile Road No. 18

A Ukranian born in 1919 and a member of the Komsomol party; resided at Agdash, Komsomol'skaya street, House (Building) No. 3, Azerbaijan SSR

Joined the Army 17 November 1942 after having been mobilised by Agdash Military registration and enlistment office, Azerbaijan SSR.

Participated in the Civil War and since 1943 in the protection of the USSR (GPW).

No previous awards.

=========================================================

Brief, concrete statement of a personal fighting feat or merits.

=========================================================

Corporal Zabashtanskaya, excellent/remarkable Chief of traffic/road control post,

she has well organized work on the part of the road, that she was responsible for,

she has achieved no crashes or idle time in traffic, despite of intensive car traffic.

She has lead preparation for winter 1945 perfectly. She has carried out mobilization

of inhabitants for work at the road, up to 300 persons and to 100 cartages per a day

at an average. She has provided the road clearning of a snow and has organized

moving rubbish away from the road.

Without doubts she is worthy of high government award - Medal for Military Merit.

Chief of Military Automobile Road No. 18

Colonel Danielyan

February 1945

Edited by Rich