News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An RK & DKiG to a fighter pilot

This was the deal I was trying to do when I had my 'whammy', but we managed to get together again

last weekend, and I am rather stoked to be able to show these 2 items that once were part of Oberfeldwebel

Otto Wuerfel's award grouping, there are 3 of his documents as well, which I don't own, but there is a

chance they will become available too, but to get the ball rolling, I will show the 2 awards that I have picked up,

first up his Steinhauer & Lueck Knight's Cross, here is the case for it....

I found this black and white photo of the RK along with the three documents somewhere else, so I thought

I would add it here, to show the award docs, which do belong to another local collector at this stage, I have followed

this group since it arrived here in Australia, and am very pleased to own a portion of the grouping.

Finding out some information on him is a bit difficult as it is a late war group, but this is what I know about him so far,

Born 3 December 1920 in Uelzen/Niedersachsen, was posted missing from 23 Feb 1944 around Rogatschew in Russia,

and died on the 22nd December 1944. His rank at that time was an Oberfeldwebel.

Posted in to 9./JG 51 mid 1942 as an Unteroffizier, mid 1943 he had around 9 victories, was involved in many dive bombing

operations.

Posted for a short period of time to Erg. Gr. Ost as an instructor (training pilot is what is written). so ??? he could have been

under training perhaps.

Within 5 months of returning to 9./JG 51 he had 70 victories to his credit, on the 21 Feb 1944 he shot down 6 enemy

aircraft, and was transferred to 8./JG 51.

On the 23rd Feb, 1944 he collided in mid air with his wingman Ofw Dittlmann, northwest of Rogatschew. Both aircraft came

down, Dittlmann was killed in the crash, Wuerfel was captured and interned in camp 280/5 in the area of Stalino. He

died in captivity of Typhus.

Promoted to Leutnant posthumously, and his final victory tally was 79 victories.

RK awarded 4 May 1944.

DKiG awarded February 1944.

Bob