News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris,

The cool thing is, if I'm not mistaken, that this ( 7.Res.J?ger Batl.) was one of the units which fought the Turks in Georgia (for the oil fields) and whose members were awarded Rick's much loved Tammy.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Chris,

I found this information on the old site, which was contributed by Rick L. regarding the b.29.IR (J?ger).

"Bavarian Res.J?ger Batl.1 was formed from the Ersatz Bn of Bav Jgr Bn 1 and Ersatz Gebirgs MG Abteilung 1st Bav Army Corps.

Bavarian Infantry Regiment 29 was an ad hoc formation of September 1916 on the Combres Heights-- then composed of Bav ResJgr Bn 1, IV Bn/ Bav Res Inf Rgt 4 and the certainly bemused III Bn/ Inf Rgt 79. But this place holding Frankenstein unit was disassembled within a month, and in October 1916 "Bavarian" Inf Rgt 29 was created in Rumania with Res.Jgr. Bn. 7, Res. Jgr. Bn. 9, and Bav Res. Jgr. Bn. 1.

These were split up and the regimental staff and both non Bavarian battalions were left in the Crimea in June 1918.

Bav Res Jgr Bn 1 was dispatched to Georgia at that time, and swelled by hodge podge wandering ex-POWs (some of whom were Austrian, though I've never encountered a Tamara in an Austrian group) and Tsarist Baltic volunteers, etc.. From 1 July to 15 August 1918 it was styled "Caucasian J?ger Regiment."

Res.Jgr. Bns 7 and 9 wandered into Georgia as reinforcements on 1 August 1918, but were not reintegrated, wandering lonely by themselves while the 29th regimental staff actually had NO troops.

On 15 August 1918 the "Caucasian J?ger Regiment" was RE-renamed Bavarian J?ger Regiment 15, but while paperwork was inked in that way, the unit's rubber stamps remained the same as before as the......1st Bavarian Reserve J?ger Battalion."

According to Cron, the 29th was REALLY a j?ger regt as it was formed with J?ger Battalions, whereas the 15th had only one J?ger BAtln with assorted odds and sods, so it was a loooong stretch of the imagination when they named it a J?ger Regt.

Guest Rick Research

Not necessarily missed Georgia.

VERY oddly, Schneider was commander of Reserve J?ger Battalion 9 and he was--I'll have to verify--in Georgia. It would seem TRULY dumb to have a document issued literally at the ends of the earth by that stage of the war to somebody back home in Schaumburg-Lippe who could have had it issued at the local Bezirkskommando level rather than paper traveling back and forth to the furthest point of German advance.

14 August 1917 the regiment took hills 334, 332, and 354 in the breakthrough on the Putna. I'll be back later with a battle plan from the 1st version of the regimental history "Auf Schicksalswegen gen Osten" by GenMajor aD Aschauer. The fighting started at 1 A.M. and lasted until nightfall. Aschauer gives regimental losses as

4 officers, 57 men killed

9 officers, 313 men wounded (yours among these)

24 men missing in action

:speechless1:

"most of these from ( R )JB 7"

Unfortunately RJB 7 is the one component of this unlikely trio for which I do NOT have any battalion level history.

Guest Rick Research

Schneider was from Infantry Regiment 174. Per the battalion history of RJB 9, he commanded that unit from 14 September 1917 to 31 January 1919.

Here from Aschauer's memoirs he is in the middle of the three JR 29 battalion COs--

The entry above his signature on his documents suggests he was acting for the (on leave?) regimental commander, but he is not so mentioned in either of the unit histories I have. So much for TEMPORARY changes in command!!!

Guest Rick Research

While short on hard military data (officers' names, organization charts etc) Aschauer's memoirs have the advantage of full page maps. This same one appears in Muggenthaler's & Ritter von Pfl?gel's boldly politically incorrect "official" regimental history of 1935 (as about 1/8 of a page-- virtually illegible)

14 August 1917 and the attack on what the Bavarians called "Panciu"--

Guest Rick Research

Closer up showing "J?ger Regiment" (29) with RJB7 attacking the two hills on the right.

Unfortunately while Muggenthaler & Ritter von Pfl?gel nominally did the regimental history, in reality what they concentrated on (naturally) was their own Bavarian battalion.

They do agree with Aschauer, without specifics on casualties, that 14 August 1917 was the wrost day the regiment had during the entire war.

My Oberj?ger SCHRALL--whose Tamara group was ripped apart on me 2 years ago :angry: by that bottomless pockets Russian Tamara vampire still scouring eBay-- of Bavarian RJB1 was ALSO wounded here on that day. I posted a bit of that from the Bavarian perspective when I got the scraps rescued from the Slavic Accumulator.

You really need the RJB7 battalion history-- if there ever was one.

Still no clue what Schneider was doing with the BAVARIAN regimental stamp rather than that of his own battalion, or what he was doing issuing anything to RJB7 when he was RJB 9. The EK2 document was issued JUST as they were packing up on the Crimea to leave for Georgia, departing from the 217th Infantry Division's Order of Battle.

Rick, Chris,

that is the later Generalmajor (1.4.41) Friedrich Schneider, born 28 Mar 1879 and died as a Soviet POW in Sachsenhausen in 1945 long after his final retirement in July 1942.

Regards

Glenn

Chris:

This may be of interest. This is the M-1915 bluse which was more than likely worn by Maj v. d. Groeben as the comander of Batln. 1 shown above (although he is wearing a M-1910 waffenrock in the photo). Although the tunic is not named, there are very few candidates except him, based on the ribbon bar spacing and rank. There are no photos of v. d. Groeben in the JB7 war history, so this photo of him is very much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

jb7sl7.jpg

Close-up of ribbon bar spacing and shoulder board insignia

jb7lw4.jpg

Edited by dwmosher

Chip:

Just got back from vacation and saw your reply. Thank you for your comments. I also thought there would be more interest in the tunic, based on the content of this thread.

Regards

Dave

Sorry, Davd! I didn't post anything because I remember seeing this beautiful coat somewhere else before. It's still a fantastic piece! :jumping:

• 2 weeks later...

You really need the RJB7 battalion history-- if there ever was one.

Hello,

the history of RJB 7 exists.

"Das Reserve-J?ger-Bataillon Nr. 7 im Weltkrieg" by von Ulmenstein, published 1922 - now in my book-shelf...

The major's M/15 bluse is really great !

Regards

jaeger7

Ulmenstein, v.

Reserve-J?ger-Bataillon Nr. 7 im Weltkrieg

Edited by jaeger7