News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch ribbonbar with foreign awards

FWIW, I don't think that the ribbons in question are British, because the UK doesn't put rosettes on their ribbons. And UK ribbons are wider than the standard width for DUtch ribbons. Also, the Royal Victorian Order ribbon is a much darker blue than the ribbon in the photo and, as has already been suggested, the Order of St Michael & St George is primarily awarded for services in the Commonwealth, e.g. to officials in overseas territories.

The rosettes make me think that these ribbons are likely to come from a continental European country. Or might they not be from private organisations? Have you checked out Erik Muller's Nederlandse Ritterorden en Onderscheidingen website? He has a dozen pages of Dutch and Dutch-related ribbons there. The URL is www.onderscheidingen.nl.

or check Lukas Gaszewskis ribbon chart sites, most of the ribbons of the continent are there. Dont have the url on hand, but would not be hard to find (google) I guess

Lots of luck and keep us informed of what you find out, or when you ID'd the ribbon. Maybe the periode of the other ribbons tell you what other country you should look for. Although I am dutch, I have no idea whatsoever as to what the other ribbon stand for, but I am sure you know

regards

David

FWIW, I don't think that the ribbons in question are British, because the UK doesn't put rosettes on their ribbons. And UK ribbons are wider than the standard width for DUtch ribbons. Also, the Royal Victorian Order ribbon is a much darker blue than the ribbon in the photo and, as has already been suggested, the Order of St Michael & St George is primarily awarded for services in the Commonwealth, e.g. to officials in overseas territories.

The rosettes make me think that these ribbons are likely to come from a continental European country. Or might they not be from private organisations? Have you checked out Erik Muller's Nederlandse Ritterorden en Onderscheidingen website? He has a dozen pages of Dutch and Dutch-related ribbons there. The URL is www.onderscheidingen.nl.

Hi Arthur, thanks for your reply. I do think that the first is the Royal Victorian Order. Inside the rosette you can see the real color. The rosettes are added by the Dutch firm van Wielick. They do this with every foreign order Officers class. The have ribbons made specialy for themselfs. A few of the Dutch Ribbons are very discolered by the sun. I think that this is also the case with the RVO.

There is a Dutch Royal jubilie medal in the row. So i'm thinking adjudant to the Queen during some state visites... I know of a few other RVO's awarded bye the Queen in Holland.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

I would offer the Liberian Order of the Star of Africa, officer rank, as the potentially unknown ribbon. That Order's ribbon colors are nearly the same shade and dimension as the UK Sts Michael & George -- How likely would it be for a Dutch national to have both a RVO and a KCMG {M&G with rosette might suggest 2nd rank of M&G or KCMG). Foreigners were admitted to the British Sts. M & G Order as the Honorary Associates but not Members--I do not know if foreigners may be admitted as full Members at present.

The 3rd foreign ribbon/rosette may be a Luxembourg Adolf {blue with orange stripes} or perhaps a royal Egyptian Nile Order {blue with yellow stripes}? Ribbon variations for both exist; the yellow/orange edge stripe width and shade could be typical of either {though usually the Nile has a touch of blue at the outer edge}.

Agree that the first "foreigner" is a RVO probably 4th class: Several non British ribbon bars have RVO ribbon w/rosette to identify that class, now called LVO.

Edited by 922F

• 3 months later...

2nd to the last is the Italian Order of Savoy (Officer) which uses the same ribbon as the Brit St. Michael and the last is the Egypt Order of the Nile (Officer). I'm still working on the first one... but I have a feeling that it too will be an order from that area.... can you tell me what the true colors are (they look faded) ?

I really don't think that they are Brit... since the precedence is also incorrect... the St. Michael would come before the RVO...

Cheers

Mark

Edited by mravery