News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Soviet Medal #3

And another plea gentlemen! This also arrived today, with the label in German being Orden Medaille UDSSR CCCP Vaterl?nd Krieg 2. Klasse. Could someone let me know what the correct name of the medal is in English please? This is the first one of these I have bought, and it looks great!

Thanks again! :D

And another plea gentlemen! This also arrived today, with the label in German being Orden Medaille UDSSR CCCP Vaterl?nd Krieg 2. Klasse. Could someone let me know what the correct name of the medal is in English please? This is the first one of these I have bought, and it looks great!

Thanks again! :D

Hi there,

its looks like an "Order of the Patriotic War 2nd class".Other more informed members will be able to tell you a lot more tho, but there will be a citation for this if you get it researched.

Whispy.

Yes, it's an Order of the Patriotic War 2nd Class, type 3, variation 2 (no dimple around screwpost base). This one was produced in the Moscow Mint.

Thanks for the book tip Ed, I will look for that as I have taken a liking to the appearance of some of these Soviet medals. And Ferdinand, thanks for that answer. When you say it was produced in the Moscow Mint, are these just replicas of original medals? Does that number then have no meaning, or is it just a number for the replica? Thanks again fellas!

When you say it was produced in the Moscow Mint, are these just replicas of original medals? Does that number then have no meaning, or is it just a number for the replica?

It is an original order with original serial number. It is a type 3 (which isn't being faked (yet)), produced in 1984 or later.

No, this type of the Order of the Patriotic War was only given to veterans of the Great Patriotic War who still lived in 1985. They got one of these "1985-issues" during the celebrations of 40 years of victory. So it's just a jubilee award, not a combat decoration.

Auke