News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Serbian Medal for Zeal.

Hallo Chaps, :beer:

As it was up for grabs, I grabbed it the Serbian Medal for Zeal. :jumping:

apparently struck in silvered bronze and awarded to non-combat unit Officers for exemplary service,

the Gilded bronze version is for Combat Unit Officers. Apparently manufactured in France WW1 period.

on a dark blue triangular ribbon. The ribbon ring is a replacement though!

Now it resides under the gaze of the old Citidel in Deva.

Many thanks to Noor :cheers:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Nice grab Kevin

maybe I have a new task for you ..... searching and grabing the different varieties of this medal :rolleyes::rolleyes:

here is a small example of the differnt types (by far not complete, I am also hunting and grabing wherever I can)

regards

Milan

Hallo Chaps, :beer:

As it was up for grabs, I grabbed it the Serbian Medal for Zeal. :jumping:

apparently struck in silvered bronze and awarded to non-combat unit Officers for exemplary service,

the Gilded bronze version is for Combat Unit Officers. Apparently manufactured in France WW1 period.

on a dark blue triangular ribbon. The ribbon ring is a replacement though!

Now it resides under the gaze of the old Citidel in Deva.

Many thanks to Noor :cheers:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

• 3 years later...

You have some rare pieces, Balkanfila.

Medal for Zeal (official name Medal for Zealous Service (from 1913, as two earlier versions, 1877/76 and 1885/86 exist) was the most common medal for young officers and NCOs (together with Medal for Military Merits). As such, it has many producers. I'm enclosing paragraph & few pics form my book about Serbian medals. I'll not show the ones with two crowns balkanfila has just shown.

Both classes of Medals for Zealous Service were awarded in large quantitues in all periods. Regardless of the political changes in the country and its designations, the medals retained their original appearance. Variants were the results of the manufacturer’s artistic licence. The first medals, which were manufactured strictly in keeping with the terms of the law, were produced in the workshop of Arthus-Bertrand. In the later period, the workshop of Huguenin Frères was also included in the production. The workshop of Friedrich Orth in Vienna produced medals with a characteristic detail of the coat of arms on the reverse. Most medals have one crown above the double-headed eagle, but this model has a crown above each of the eagle’s heads. During the period of the Kingdom of SHS and later Yugoslavia, Medals for Zealous Service were also manufactured by the local workshops of Fran Sorlini, Griesbach & Knaus and Kovnica PLC. As the medals are not hallmarked, their provenance can only be conjectured.

Two medals manufactured by Arthus Bertrand of Paris

post-8720-075254100 1286297005_thumb.jpg