News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first TR EK II

Hello Everyone,

Well, you TR guys finally got to me and I purchased my first TR EK II this morning. It's not in the best of shape and could probably use some cleaning. I'm not looking to make it look mint but it looks like it could use a little TLC before it joins the collection. I think it is an original as it passes the old magnet test and when you tap it with your fingernail it sounds like it's made in two parts. There are no markings on the ring. I accidently deleted the obverse but it looks like every other TR EK II and the condition is the same as the obverse.

Any suggestions as to cleaning methods for EKs would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

Well, you TR guys finally got to me and I purchased my first TR EK II this morning. It's not in the best of shape and could probably use some cleaning. I'm not looking to make it look mint but it looks like it could use a little TLC before it joins the collection. I think it is an original as it passes the old magnet test and when you tap it with your fingernail it sounds like it's made in two parts. There are no markings on the ring. I accidently deleted the obverse but it looks like every other TR EK II and the condition is the same as the obverse.

Brian

Brian, I'd be very careful. I have cleaned an EK1 in the past to remove dirt and grime only. I used warm soapy water and a very softtooth brush. When i was done I used a hair dryer to COMPLETEY dried the cross taking special attention to under the frame. You can't let moisture stay in there or rust will start.

That being said, yours appears to have some slight rusting around the edge of the frame and swastika. You ned to be careul that further cleaning doesn't start to remove and paint above this rust. It's a situation that I'd leave well enough alone in this case.

Brian, I'd be very careful. I have cleaned an EK1 in the past to remove dirt and grime only. I used warm soapy water and a very softtooth brush. When i was done I used a hair dryer to COMPLETEY dried the cross taking special attention to under the frame. You can't let moisture stay in there or rust will start.

That being said, yours appears to have some slight rusting around the edge of the frame and swastika. You ned to be careul that further cleaning doesn't start to remove and paint above this rust. It's a situation that I'd leave well enough alone in this case.

Thanks Darrell,

I'll leave it as is. It would be a shame to add to the problem.

Cheers

Brian

I was so happy to be adding this medal to my collection that I decided to post the obverse anyway.

So here it is.

It's like Christmas morning, adding a medal to my collection is always exciting no matter how old I get. :jumping:

Brian

Brian, congrats. YOu are now on that slippery slope that can only end with an example from EVERY maker :rolleyes::cheeky:

Hi

I agree. :cheers:

Nesredep

YOUR RECIPE FOR DISASTER:

- Water + Iron = Rust (probably)

- Ribbon +water = Stains (possibly)

- Cleaning the silver frames = loss of aged patina (surely)

:shame: Leave it alone! Banish any other thoughts!

Jim :cheers:

I would generally leave it alone. having said that, a long time ago I had one in similar condition, albeit an imperial one, I experimented with a thin gell which is used on automobiles to destroy rust spots, it worked very well and the bonus is that it actually turns the rust black and so you don't see it and it blends very nicely with the existing black paint, after many years, the rust had still not come back.

just my ramblings

regards

Alex