News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgaria

Hi

a cousin of my greatgranfather served at the eastern front (Bulgaria) I am looking for a picture of his bulgarian awards:

06.05.1916 Bulgarian Tapferkeitskreuz IV. Klasse (do I read this one right? what does it look like?)

02.09.1916 Bulgarian Militair Verdienst Kreuz (a picture of this one anyone?)

23.03.1918 Bulgarian Seeflieger Abzeichen (a picture of this one?)

Wilhelm M?ldner

22.08.1914 Diensteintritt im Freiwillige Marine Flieger Korps (Berlin-Johannisthal), II Seeflieger-Abteilung (SFA): 31.07.1915 Obermatrose, dann Bootmannsmaat, 11.1915 Flugmaat, 06.11.1915-03.12.1915 Seeflieger-Station (SFS) Borkum, wo er mit dem Friedrichshafen FF 29a (Seeaufkl?rer) Nummer 419 flog, 23.01.1916-12.10.1916 und 01.05.1917-16.06.1917 I. SFA: SFS Varna (Bulgarien), hier war er Flugzeugf?hrer der Friedrichshafen FF 33e (Seeaufkl?rer), Nummer 507, 529, 530, 723, 738, 780, 835, 861 und 862, 04.07.1916 Vizeflugmeister, 24.05.1917H Leutnant der Reserve der Matrosenartillerie, 15.09.1917-03.1918 II. Adjutant der Stab der I. SFA (Kiel-Holtenau), 30.04.1918 zur Dienstleistung bei der Kommandeur der Flieger des Marine Korps Flandern (KoFl) commandirt (Zeebr?gge, Belgien), 06.05.1918 unter Enthebung von dem Commando zur Dienstleistung bei der KoFl, zur Verf?gung der Marine Flugchef (Berlin) vom 25.08.1918-25.09.1918 Reservelazarett Bad Nauheim (Erkrankung), dann bis Kriegsende zur Verf?gung der Marine Flugchef (Berlin), 21.01.1920 ausser Dienst.

Thanks a lot

David M

• 1 month later...

Hi

a cousin of my greatgranfather served at the eastern front (Bulgaria) I am looking for a picture of his bulgarian awards:

06.05.1916 Bulgarian Tapferkeitskreuz IV. Klasse (do I read this one right? what does it look like?)

02.09.1916 Bulgarian Militair Verdienst Kreuz (a picture of this one anyone?)

23.03.1918 Bulgarian Seeflieger Abzeichen (a picture of this one?)

Wilhelm M?ldner

22.08.1914 Diensteintritt im Freiwillige Marine Flieger Korps (Berlin-Johannisthal), II Seeflieger-Abteilung (SFA): 31.07.1915 Obermatrose, dann Bootmannsmaat, 11.1915 Flugmaat, 06.11.1915-03.12.1915 Seeflieger-Station (SFS) Borkum, wo er mit dem Friedrichshafen FF 29a (Seeaufkl?rer) Nummer 419 flog, 23.01.1916-12.10.1916 und 01.05.1917-16.06.1917 I. SFA: SFS Varna (Bulgarien), hier war er Flugzeugf?hrer der Friedrichshafen FF 33e (Seeaufkl?rer), Nummer 507, 529, 530, 723, 738, 780, 835, 861 und 862, 04.07.1916 Vizeflugmeister, 24.05.1917H Leutnant der Reserve der Matrosenartillerie, 15.09.1917-03.1918 II. Adjutant der Stab der I. SFA (Kiel-Holtenau), 30.04.1918 zur Dienstleistung bei der Kommandeur der Flieger des Marine Korps Flandern (KoFl) commandirt (Zeebr?gge, Belgien), 06.05.1918 unter Enthebung von dem Commando zur Dienstleistung bei der KoFl, zur Verf?gung der Marine Flugchef (Berlin) vom 25.08.1918-25.09.1918 Reservelazarett Bad Nauheim (Erkrankung), dann bis Kriegsende zur Verf?gung der Marine Flugchef (Berlin), 21.01.1920 ausser Dienst.

Thanks a lot

David M

Hi David,

I'm sorry that I dont have the photos you are looking for but I did send your list to a friend who may be able to help. Can you tell me a little about Bulgaria's involvement with Germany during WW2. Like which campaigns were they involved in and major battles. I have a nice WW2 Bulgarian Officer's Uniform and am just now doing some research on it. I assume they were awarded German awards. Do you have any pictures of Bulgarians wearing Nazi awards?

Thank you & Happy Hunting!

Vince

Hmmmm...you are right!! Given the plethora of Bulgarian awards about I supposed they'd be there (there's a nice bravery medal by the way on the end of the luftwaffe bar presently being discussed. I have the "big" book-and shall try to post a few pics. tonight.

Hi Ulsterman

thanks, that would be great. I am really lookig forward seeing some of the specific awards my relative got for his war-action. He is the closest one in any theater for me, the rest of the family emigrated to Holland around 1875.

Can hardly wait for the pics :-)

thanks

David

Ah- I see, you are going from war time german sources. the "medals" we are speaking of are lower grades of "orders"-the 4th class bravery medal is easily spotted for example in the Bulgarian medals thread in this forum section. The "Military service cross" is almost certainly the 'Order of Military merit" (one of my favorite medals). The badge is uber-rare and I'll go dig a picture out.

"Bulgarian Tapferkeitskreuz IV. Klasse" would probably be the 4th Class of the Soldier's Cross for Bravery, the enlisted version of the Military Order "For Bravery". 4th Class was a silver cross, 3rd a silver cross with ribbon bow, 2nd a gilt cross and 1st a gilt cross with bow.

"Bulgarian Militair Verdienst Kreuz " sounds like it might be the silver cross (VI. Class), the NCO and enlisted level of the National Order for Military Merit, also called the Military Merit Order.

Well, I have looked and looked and the only references I can find all seem to indicate that the Bulgarian imperial pilots badge was the only one they had in 1916-19. There's one at the OMSA database. I can find NO reference at all to an observers badge or a Marine pilots badge. My references are limited though, so maybe there is an ultra rare badge out there.

I just spent a happy hour and a half reading the Bulgarian military thread over at the WAF. I am completely wrong about the imperial flying badge (and so was my book). See here:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...lgarian+uniform

Bulgarian badges are a faking minefield. It seems large numbers are very well made fakes and more than a few are simple fantasy items, so beware.

By the way, the pilots and observers badges appear to have been promulgated in the mid 1930s. the imperial one was from 1915-1919/20.

Edited by Ulsterman

Just one question more:

I guess he qwould have worn his awards in a prussian way? So not on the triangel ribbons but the way we are used to see in another part of this forum. as far as his bulgarian awards are concerned, what would be the order in which to wear them?

Our friend Barry at E-Medals in Canada has a lot of Bulgarian badges.

Check out his web site!

http://www.emedals.ca/catalog.asp?country=BG

Happy Hunting!

Vince

Hi Vince, as this is a forum and we can say what we think... well, left aside the prices :speechless1:, I think some of the badges are at least questionable.

As for the badges, during the WW1 there was Pilot badge and Observer badge. After the WW1 the same badges continued to be issued, until in 1936 /if not wrong for the year/ started to be introduced the color enamel badges - though the old style big silver badges were used by their owners till the end of WW2. There was no marineflieger or balloon badge. On paper, a balloon badge was planned /from the series of color enamel badges/, but it remained only as an artist idea, never made.

Edited by Theodor