News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sudanese Militaria and police

pmargulies

Why did they do away with the medals?

Paul,

Just came across your question, and I offer a very belated and only speculative/partial explanation.

I suspect that Sudan, as well as Egypt and probably other countries, realized that producing and issuing both full-sized medals and ribbons was prohibitively expensive. Sudan probably doesn't have a domestic manufacturer of full-sized medals, and would have to order them from abroad. The Sudanese government could charge for the medals, which would make them only available to wealthier officers. And there would only be limited opportunities to wear the full-sized medals.

Paul,

Just came across your question, and I offer a very belated and only speculative/partial explanation.

I suspect that Sudan, as well as Egypt and probably other countries, realized that producing and issuing both full-sized medals and ribbons was prohibitively expensive. Sudan probably doesn't have a domestic manufacturer of full-sized medals, and would have to order them from abroad. The Sudanese government could charge for the medals, which would make them only available to wealthier officers. And there would only be limited opportunities to wear the full-sized medals.

Hello Chris,

at first in the 60ies the Order of Sudan : The Medal of Honour (highest award),the Sash of Honour (2nd highest award),Order of the Republic,Order of the 2 Nile,Order of Distinction were produced by Garrard's from London.

Later Spink has manufactured them,but now the current manufacturer is Eng Leong Medal from Singapore.Actually Eng Leong has manufactured them (except Order of Distinction).

In 1969 there was a Revolution in Sudan,and at this occasion they have instituted new revolutionnary Orders ( but without enamel ).Those revolutionary Order are not of so good quality and when they came to market they are almost ever without ribbon,but no evidence has been found that they were minted locally.At least the ribbon were not made in Sudan.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel,

If you can wait a while, I will get you one in Khartoum.

Regards,

Will

Hello Will,

it would be very kind of you.I'am also looking for Order of the Revolution (the silvered one ) & Order of the Loyal Son of Sudan (the gilded one).

Also the Medal of Educational Hierarchy.

Of course I guess they ever came without ribbon,but in the case you can get one with its ribbon it's always a PLUS.

My e-mail : svieta@skynet.be

Thanks.

Emmanuel

• 3 weeks later...

William these are so very beautiful, your collection of Arabic medals are growing to an all time high class collection. I want to thank you for posting them on the GMIC for me to see your beautiful collection.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

• 4 years later...

Antomio, Nice list which starts with the Collars of the Republic and of Honour. I am currently on leave and will endeavour to provide a full translation upon my return to Riyadh. Kind regards, Owain

P.S. The second list is the series of ranks in the Sudan military.

Edited by oamotme