News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Researched Order of Service to the Motherland Group

First time I purchased a Soviet group, ok... a relatively small one but still excited about it.

Would appreciate some help with translation as English translation of research was not part of the deal.

- Order of Service to the Motherland 18.861

- Order of Red Star 3.595.471

• Replies 75
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rick Research

ARC for OSH3 =

Oboyzinsky, Viktor Mikhailovich

Lieutenant Colonel

born 1939 in village of Ivan'ki, Man'kovsky Raion, Kievskaya Oblast

Member CPSU since October 1961

Higher education, Ukrainian, in Red Army since August 1956

Position at time decorated-- Squadron Commander in 226th Independent Guards Aviation Regiment for Electronic Suppression/Countermeasures/jamming

Now (8.5.77) same

Living at Apt 21, House 79, city of Poltava-4

OSH3 22.2.77

Personnel record--

date of birth 20 June 1939

CPSU member # 5,986,439 having been Candidate Member since 59 and Komsomol member since 52

10th Class education 1956

Graduated from Orskoe Military Aviation School for Pilots of the Air Force "in the name of (Kon'zhukov?)" 6.10.59

Lt 4.11.59

Sr lt 18.12.61

Capt 29.12.67

Maj 10.2.72

Lt Col 25.7.74

married: wife Lyelya Yevgenievich Obodzinskaya born 1937-- daughters Yelenora 1957 and Veronika 1962

His service record assignments will have to wait for daylight. I can't do this sort of light print, bad handwriting, and frustrating abbreviations in the dark with my bad vision.

He retired 30. ?4 ?9.81.

ARC for OSH3 =

Oboyzinsky, Viktor Mikhailovich

Lieutenant Colonel

born 1939 in village of Ivan'ki, Man'kovsky Raion, Kievskaya Oblast

Member CPSU since October 1961

Higher education, Ukrainian, in Red Army since August 1956

Position at time decorated-- Squadron Commander in 226th Independent Guards Aviation Regiment for Electronic Suppression/Countermeasures/jamming

Now (8.5.77) same

Living at Apt 21, House 79, city of Poltava-4

OSH3 22.2.77

Thanks - that sounds interesting :cheers: On to google now to try to find out where this squadron was based :unsure:

Guest Rick Research

If you have the 1970 Red Star citation and ARC, post those in hopes the unit will be typed out in full. These abbreviations :banger: me.

If you have the 1970 Red Star citation and ARC, post those in hopes the unit will be typed out in full. These abbreviations :banger: me.

All that I have is posted, but I'll send the red star off for research as well (presumably long service though I assume). May take some time of course... :rolleyes:

No recommendation for the "Motherland" and no full service record? Service record may not be available, as he may be still living?

Nope - this is all I have. I received the research with the purchase though so will go off to request - as far as possible - the rest from researcher. Will try Nota Bene this time around.

Guest Rick Research

1970 Red Star to air force sneaky-stuff pilot? Noooooooooooooo way long service!

His assignment then-- from 24.10.67 was as "ship" (by this I assume "aircraft" is meant) in 570th "MR" ( S omething ? R econnaissance ?) A (viation) P (R egiment) of "BOF"-- ? ?

1970 Red Star to air force sneaky-stuff pilot? Noooooooooooooo way long service!

Only one way to find out :cheeky:

Just hope it doesn't take >1 year as it's taking for some of my other open research requests :banger:

Writing my mail to Alexei as we speak.

Research request sent out. Liked the 2-6 weeks indication on Alexei's site :jumping:

Sounds like this one will be an interesting puzzle to sort all out.

Expect closer to "6" ("6+"?) than "2", but it will, I think, be worth the wait. Research schedules are outside the control of even the most reliable research provider. He won these gongs over 30 years ago, we can wait a few weeks longer?

His assignment then-- from 24.10.67 was as "ship" (by this I assume "aircraft" is meant) in 570th "MR" ( S omething ? R econnaissance ?) A (viation) P (R egiment) of "BOF"-- ? ?

Perhaps:

Morskoy Razvedivatel'nyi Aviatsion'nyi Polk (Naval Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment)?

Guest Rick Research

That would be my GUESS based on his radar-jamming foremost front flying afterwards.

But he is referred to as "Air Force" (VVS) and NOT Naval Aviation-- did the ARMY have units flying over the sea?

That would be my GUESS based on his radar-jamming foremost front flying afterwards.

But he is referred to as "Air Force" (VVS) and NOT Naval Aviation-- did the ARMY have units flying over the sea?

Quite a lot of data on Soviet airforce on the net, hopefully a place/base name or aircraft name can help to provide further direction. From my quick first searches, there are aircraft types used both by airforce and naval aviation so switching between the two in career may be an option? Example, link here to Tupolev 22 "During the Cold War, the Tu-22M was operated by the VVS (Soviet Air Force) in a strategic bombing role, and by the AVMF (Aviatsiya Voyenno-Morskogo Flota, Soviet Naval Aviation) in a long-range maritime anti-shipping role." - http://www.answers.com/topic/tupolev-tu-22m

anyway, this is speculation - hopefully further details will come up which provide links for further research

Guest Rick Research

Bob and are are playing musical posts, so I will add a NEW one rather than continuing to try to edit within posts adding more information on a point by point basis--

Here, although I cannot read (I am unable to deal with such scribbles at night in the light available to me in my computer room with 1 eye) the beginning of the line, underlined in red is PACIFIC FLEET.

I now think what I had been reading as "BOF" on the small page scan is actually a continuation of that and a PARTICULARLY illiterate scrawl of "TOF"--

PACIFIC FLEET.

And the two assignments beneath that show him as a PILOT.

So he was definitely ARMY. Pacific Ocean land based sea recon is now, I think, fairly definitely what he was doing. :cheers:

"DA" on his assignments from 1974 is-- from the stamp on his ARC = "Long-Range Aviation."