News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commemorative Francaise

Chris Boonzaier

This is a low point in French medal making :-(

You cannot even go back and buy a nice old one as this is a new medal and "cheap" was the theme right off the bat.

The design is the symbol of the Republique (Marianne) surrounded by "Republique Francaise"... A tried and trusted formula that worked well on the Colonial medal, the defence medal etc.

Two monstrosities have recently arrived in recent years that are simply not "Nice". The TRN medal blushes in shame compared to the quality of medals of yesteryear... and the guy who did the "Medaille Commemorative Francaise" was not the best the nation had to offer.

On the left you see the official medal... the relief is very low, Marianne looks a bit like an Aztec medicine man mask. The quality is so-so but the loooooow relief makes it look as if the design would wear off with two wipes of a cloth.

On the right is an unoffiial one of some sort. Better relief, the details a bit more obvious... but the face makes it look a bit more comic bookish.... Aztec woman would have been better with this relief...

It is a campaign medal for areas not covered by the overseas medal.

Ex-Yugoslavie, Haiti, Afghanistan etc. etc. are all bars that come on this.

I am not 100% sure how they differentiate between campaigns for the overseas medal and this one.

So most people who deploy to combat zones get all three?

Yes, maybe a record score for ugly medals -- and they have much competition from US gongs!

So sad, for the French (see: St. Helena Medal) have (had) such a good track record!

Indeed....

When you look at the wondrful quality of the WW1 medals, and the fact that millions were awarded....

nowdays there are fewer awarded, and the quality has suffered badly.....

Indeed....

When you look at the wondrful quality of the WW1 medals, and the fact that millions were awarded....

nowdays there are fewer awarded, and the quality has suffered badly.....

There is NO rational ratio :banger: ?????

Very confusing . . . . :rolleyes:

Same low relief as your first one, but better toning (except the Aztec chick kinda looks like she's wearing blackface):

FR_MedCommFra_obv.jpgFR_MedCommFra_rev.jpg

I am afraid I must agree that this medal is one of (or the) worst products of french engraving. Suppose they are trying so hard to put up something different and "modern" that they go the wrong way. This has often happened with postage-stamps.

Now what I understand about the new French Commemorative Medal is that it is the General Service Medal. The Oversees Medal is only given when their is a "campaign" or when combat conditions in distant areas are obvious. For instance, operations in Europe are not considered to be Overseas.

The decision is taken at GHQ if one or the other medal is in order.

Normally it is one or the other according to the outfit, the "campaign" or operation, and the place where things happended.

Regards

Veteran.

Edited by Veteran

Maybe at some stage they will do a new version? The colonial medal went through a few different ones.... maybe in a year or so this will see "Version 2"

I do think however it is the 2nd worse.... the TRN has to be the lowest.... especially as it symbolises recognition.

What I dont understand is... you have to buy the TRN yourself.... so why does the state say only one maker can make it?

And while we are at it....

Laetitia Casta was officially voted as the face of la Republique for 2000 onwards...

An official French site says...

"Gradually over the twentieth century, every town hall acquired a bust of Marianne, now systematically wearing the Phrygian bonnet and stripped of her other attributes (bundle of arms, builder?s level or scales).

Marianne now appears in an expurgated version. The latest figures most popular with today?s town halls are modeled on the features of Brigitte Bardot, Catherine Deneuve and Laetitia Casta."

Did you get those last three names?

Check out the face on medal 2... the expression....

Is it closer to laetitia

Guest Rick Research

Oh dear. This reference may not "travel," but I'm afraid that looks most like "Saturday Night Live" former co-star Dana (? Carver)'s character The Church Lady. :speechless1: