News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Yugoslav Star

Gentlemen,

Order of Yugoslav Star 2nd class, or since March 15, 1961 known as Order of Yugoslav star with gold wreath class consists of brest star and neck badge.

Brest star has two types:

- red star made from enamel

- red star made from synthetic rubies

Neck badge has four types:

- red star made from enamel - 5 torches on reverse

- red star made from synthetic rubies - 5 torches on reverse

- red star made from enamel - 6 torches on reverse

- red star made from synthetic rubies - 6 torches reverse

If you put brest start and neck badge together you will have 8 different combination.

Velitschko (he is author of this russian book about yugoslavian order and medals), identifies only 4 types. He has no differentiation based on 5 and 6 torches. If you added this differentiation you will get 8 types as shown below.

How many types/variations do we have, what is you opinion?

and other brest star

Wlodzimierz,

I think that you should not mix the brest star with the neck badge; in other terms, you should not treat this as a set, but as individual components, even though together they make up the 2nd class of this order.

Marc

Thank you Marc,

you mean that the key komponent of this set is the neck badge. If yes than indeed we would have 4 different types. Will you see different brest stars as variants?

waldemar

Wlodzimierz,

I mean that you should catalog each item separately.

Component 1: Breast Star

There are 2 varieties to the brest star (enamel/stones)

Component 2: Neck Badge

There are 2 varieties (5/6 torches) each with 2 subvarieties (enamel/stones)

Marc

• 3 months later...

Gentlemen,

I have been offered, here in Riyadh, a 2nd class set (no ribbon or case but both pieces in excellent condition) - awarded to a Saudi - probably in the 1960's - I have already purchased some of his Arab awards. The set is the ruby version - I cannot recall the flame numbers. The asking price is SR3,800 (US$1,013) - is this a fair price?

Kind regards,

Owain Raw-Rees

P.S. On the above proof sheets - check the spelling of breast as in Breast star - not 'brest' and reverse not 'avers'

Edited by oamotme

Hello Owain

grab it !!! :jumping:

This is a very correct price for such a set.

Best regards

Milan

Gentlemen,

I have been offered, here in Riyadh, a 2nd class set (no ribbon or case but both pieces in excellent condition) - awarded to a Saudi - probably in the 1960's - I have already purchased some of his Arab awards. The set is the ruby version - I cannot recall the flame numbers. The asking price is SR3,800 (US$1,013) - is this a fair price?

Kind regards,

Owain Raw-Rees

P.S. On the above proof sheets - check the spelling of breast as in Breast star - not 'brest' and reverse not 'avers'

Gentlemen,

Many thanks indeed - I take up this offer and as is traditional here in Arabia I willl try and negotiate a discount!

I have a small Yugoslav collection which I have long left alone - I have been in Saudi since 1989 and thus my focus has been on Arab awards. I do have though a Dunav Bridge Medal and the 1945 War Medal. I will see what esle I have and list them for you.

Again thank you.

Owain (ONSA & OMRS)

Gentlemen,

On further inspection:

Badge & star both have the synthetic ruby star not enamel

Ther reverse of the badge has five flaming torches.

There is a small makers mark on the reverse of the star and on the suspension loop of the badge.

Based on the above information and the correspondence on this thread the set is pre-1963 when the reverse was amended to have six flaming torches.

Is there any way to further narrow the date by knowing the when the enamelled red star was changed to the synthetic ruby star - e.g. when the name of the order was chaged in 1961?

..and by the way I have negotiated down to $980 and I will be collecting the set tomorrow. Thanks for your invaluable advice - it is much appreciated.

Kind regard,

Owain - in a hot Riyadh - yesterday the temperature reache 46C!