News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German ribbon bar with Ottoman award

saschaw

I have this nice ribbon bar with red cross/crescent awards for a while now, when I saw the Ottoman device on a Danish full size medal bar here at GMIC recently. I used to think it's something inofficial as I've never seen it before, but it doesn't seem to be. So Gentlemen, what is this exactly, please?

The awards on the bar are:

- Hessen, Milit?r-Sanit?ts-Kreuz 1914;

- Preu?en, Rote Kreuz-Medaille III. Klasse;

- Dt. Reich, Ehrenkreuz f?r Kriegsteilnehmer;

- Dt. Reich, Ehrenzeichen des Deutschen Roten Kreuzes;

- Osmanisches Reich, Medaille vom Roten Halbmond.

Guest Rick Research

Definitely not an official device. The closest I can come up with--and it isn't--would be an upside down Baden Z?hringen Lion Order device.

I think it's fascinating that we continue to see things as "new" and "unique" after all these years. This is the second item I see on the forum this morning that I have never seen before. I've been doing this an awfully long time....

I think it's fascinating that we continue to see things as "new" and "unique" after all these years. This is the second item I see on the forum this morning that I have never seen before. I've been doing this an awfully long time....

...amen to that brother. :cheers:

I've been collecting since October, 1969 and every day seemingly something fresh is discovered. 'Tis a good site this.

I'm guessing saschaw is referring to the group below.

My research on the internet showed me that the oakleaf was an official decoration, but nobody seems to know why it was added.

My recipient (a diplomat) got his Red Crescent medal around 1922-23, but I don't know for what.

/Mike

Thanks to all, especially to Mike. I indeed was referring to his group and with two coming up, one in a Danish, one in a Hassian group it would irritate me those were phantasy ...

:rolleyes:

For that reason I postet it in the Turkish section, maybe one of our Turkish or Turkey collection collectors knows more. ;)

I believe the leaves signify that it was a wartime award (or a war service related Red Cross award) rather than a peacetime issue.

Regards,

Paul

As Paul wrote the leaves stand for awards in times of war. at least my literature (Pride and Privilege) says that.

haynau

Hmm, thanks Josef ... but Mike's one was awarded in early 20s and I've never seen it before though most, if not all Ottoman Red Crescent medals in German groups are supposted to be war time ... I wonder if this is an correct information, but who knows. If someone knows better or wants to verify that information, don't hesitate. :ninja:

For Turkey the war wasn't over in 1919.

Don't forget the T?rkischer Befreiungskrieg (1919-1923) or War of Independence. So Wartime awards maybe humanitarian could fit for this bar.

BTW the leaves are't that rare.

haynau

Edited by haynau

Guest Rick Research

I have never seen any reference to such a device for the World War period, or seen one in 30 years seeking Turkish 1914-18 awards.

Hello,

This laurel leaf is given to those who help red crescent (Turkish Red Cross) during a war.

I attached two pictures one is a red crescent medal with a laurel leaf the ot is the the decree dated 22 november 1916 about the laurel leaf.

According to this decree a bronse leaf is added to a bronse medal, silver and gold ones accordingly.

Best wishes

Demir Erman

Hello,

This laurel leaf is given to those who help red crescent (Turkish Red Cross) during a war.

I attached two pictures one is a red crescent medal with a laurel leaf the ot is the the decree dated 22 november 1916 about the laurel leaf.

According to this decree a bronse leaf is added to a bronse medal, silver and gold ones accordingly.

Best wishes

Demir Erman

Guest Rick Research

Thanks VERY much for the 1916 data. Usually the Germans added devices to things that did not have any or did not need any. I'm amazed to see an official device that they did NOT add to ribbons.