News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm really not buying anything anymore. Taking a break from collecting since I gave up my business about a year ago. But when an old friend in Saxony eMailed me about this bar.... well, I couldn't really say no, could I? It would have been impolite! I can count on my hands the number of Mecklenburg Long Service Crosses I've actually seen mounted....

Ahhhh.....you're the one that beat me to it!!! Ohhh...the nail-biting and the mental pacing back and forth I went through while convalescing, hoping it would be mine. And now the flaunting.....'tisk tisk.

Exceptionally nice bar...the colors are stunning!

Rick,

It looks fine to me. And it is the more difficult type to find with lower case letters used on the reverse side.

Also notice the difference in the '4' compared to the FF2 that started this thread.

Are there fine crosshatching marks on the outer rim (from the beading to the edge of the cross)?

Steve

Edited by Steve K.

Hi Steve, no cross-hatching on the outer edges; but not really smooth either. More of a "grainy" appearance under a glass. As a whole, the details and features of this cross are finer/nicer/sharper than any other MVK I have handled. Quite a distinct variation. Any idea how this dates out as opposed to the more common variant? Any idea as to maker?

Yep, these are finely detailed crosses. I've only seen 1 in 10 as these types of crosses. As far as I know, there isn't a confirmed date or maker for these. I consider them early WW1 issue - 1914 only maybe, then no more.

OK, now I'm wondering (and blessing my scanner's ability to blow things up a bit)... the lettering on the reverse is not capitalized! I don't recall seeing this variation before. Comments?

Oh Stogie .... old age must be setting in faster than you thought :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Remember this little puppy that passed from you to me :speechless::speechless:

Seems to be exactly the same maker as the one you have just shown.

Gents, if you look carefully at the "lower case" KVK2 variants in posts 10 & 16 - concentrate on the crown for a start - you will see that these two are actually from different dies. Very interesting! My own unmounted example is the same as the post#16 type.

Regards

Mike