News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

I know this is supposed to be easy but I need some help. I have a BWM named 97089.2.A.M.J.KELLY. R.A.F.

I bought this "out in the wild" with nothing to refer to. I never know the abbreviations and for me this could have meant Air Marshall. I now think this is 2nd class Air Mechanic J. Kelly. I put this into the search page for the index cards and I do not get a name and service number match. Kelly brings up 82,000+ names so that is no help. What am I doing wrong? There were three possible matches under air mechanic Kelly but the service numbers were wrong and no others were listed when I looked at the details.

Thanks,

Chet

Hi Chet

2 AM is indeed airman 2nd class and you probably won't find his MIC unless he did time in the army first. RAF cards are held at Hendon. I can have a look through a book and give you an idea of when he enlisted if you want

Cheers

Perce

Gentlemen,

I know this is supposed to be easy but I need some help. I have a BWM named 97089.2.A.M.J.KELLY. R.A.F.

I bought this "out in the wild" with nothing to refer to. I never know the abbreviations and for me this could have meant Air Marshall. I now think this is 2nd class Air Mechanic J. Kelly. I put this into the search page for the index cards and I do not get a name and service number match. Kelly brings up 82,000+ names so that is no help. What am I doing wrong? There were three possible matches under air mechanic Kelly but the service numbers were wrong and no others were listed when I looked at the details.

Thanks,

Chet

Hi Chet

2 AM is indeed airman 2nd class and you probably won't find his MIC unless he did time in the army first. RAF cards are held at Hendon. I can have a look through a book and give you an idea of when he enlisted if you want

Cheers

Perce

Chet he is entitled to an RAF Meritorious Service Medal; L Gazette 1/1/19 p.100, general citation, he originated from Greenock in Scotland. Being only AM2 he is probably not entitled to a 14 or 14/15 tar, unless he served previously as a Private in a line regt or corps.

Not a bad singleton,

PAul

Gentlemen,

Thanks,

Chet

Hi Chet,

I believe you are correct about this being a medal to a second class air mechenic. I have one named to 81439 1 A.M. A.C. CHANDLER R.A.F. and I found a reference stating this was to a 1st class air mechanic. I can't seem to find where I put the reference material at the moment.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the help. I have very few British pieces so I am a little unfamiliar. My one group is to an RFC man that came from the army and I found his card so I thought that most RFC/RAF guys were transfers.

Paul - I looked up the medal you mention and I wish it had been there also! Next round of beer is on me.

Perce - thanks for the extra info. How researchable are RAF singles?

Brian - I was just searching names and saw a third class air mechanic by chance and put it together.

Chers guys :cheers: