News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Artillery Marshal Bazhanov

Recently acquired on another forum:

Bazhanov Uryi Pavlovich (1905 - 1975), Marshal of Artillery (1965),

PhD (1968), member of Communist Party since 1929. Entered the Red Army in 1920, graduated from Kiev Artillery school in 1926, graduated from Artillery Academy in 1936, and finally graduated from Academy of General Stuff in 1953. Between 1938-1942 - Head of 1st Moskow Artillery School,

1945 - Artillery Commander of 39th Army, then by the end of WWII - Head of Artillery in Far East (Japan). After war, occupied different top military positions until 1975

1. The letter from HR of PVO Forces of USSR informing that Marshal Bazhanov has been awarded the "Medal 40 Years of Soviet Military Forces"

2. The "Medal 40 Years of Soviet Military Forces".

3. The Member ID issued by Kharkov District of Communist Party of Ukraine. Dated 1958.

I'm curious about Bazhanov but can't find much via Google. Are there any books where he is covered?

Fully right!!!! :jumping::beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hello Bob,

Try googling his name in Cyrillic... Юрий Павлович Бажанов

Hi awards:

2 Orders of Lenin

3 Orders of Red banner

2 Orders of Kutuzov 1st class

1 Order of Suvorov 2nd class

1 Order of Kutuzov 2nd class

2 Orders of Red Star

+ medals

And here is a 'kind-of-translated' biography....

Yuri Pavlovich Bazhanov was born in the city of Kazat, Kiev oblast (now in Vinnytsia oblast) in railway-worker family. In 1920, joined the Red Army. In 1926 graduated from the Kiev artillery school, and in 1936 from the Artillery Academy. From 1938 to 1942 year he was chief of 1st Moscow artillery school. With the beginning of the Great Patriotic War in June 1941, formed the first battery of rocket-propelled mortars "Katyusha". from 1942 to 1944, was the chief of Task Force Guards mortar parts of North-West and 1st Baltic fronts. From August 1944 to March 1945 served as Deputy Commander of artillery 1st Baltic Front for the Guards mortar parts, in March - August 1945, Commander of the Army artillery, took part in the defeat Kvantunskoy army in Manchuria. After the war from 1949, he commanded the artillery of military district of Primorye (far East of Russia) artillery.

He graduated from the Military Academy of General Staff (1953), then commanded the artillery Far Eastern military district. Since 1955, and 1973 was the chief of the Kharkiv Military Engineering Academy radio air defense behalf Marshal Govorova Soviet Union. June 18, 1965 he was awarded the title "Marshal artillery".

Yep - I have one more award letter coming my way for Bazhanov though. Apparently related to a chinese award.

Will post once in. Then to find what Chinese award it's actually for... :rolleyes:

Letter from the Ministry of Defence of the USSR regarding awarding Bazhanov the Chinese Order Yun-Gyu?

anybody know about that order? what else does the letter say?

Guest Rick Research

Incredibly enough, this must be a NATIONALIST Chinese award. :speechless1::speechless:

I have no clue what it is from the Chinese name, but it is referred to after in brackets as "on neck ribbon" and there was no COMMUNIST Chinese award given in such form of wear.

The Guomintang got a fair degree of support from the CCCP, while the Communists were too deviant and too radical for Stalin's taste (peasants, after all, were NOT a revolutionary class -- only soldiers and sailors were -- never mind that Mark had dismissed the revolutionary urges of all but the proletariat). The GMT had also gotten much post-1933 German (some would rather I not use the word?) assistance as well.

After the revolution, the CCCP had to deal with reality (unlike others).

Time for me to hit the history books to decypher your posts :cheeky:

No worries, that's the great thing about this forum - learning something new every day!

Guest Rick Research

I wonder if he also got any awards from Nazi Germany during the GPW? :speechless1::rolleyes::cheeky:

I've posted link to the above in the non-Communist Chinese section where somebody familiar with Nationalist Chinese awards will instantly know what this freakishly inappropriate award actually was--and can provide an illustration.

Again, we have to remember that the CCCP was never very friendly with Mao and the CCP. Their sympathies lay with the Guomintang (Chiang and his boys as "allies" in the GPW). It ws only after their victory in the civil war that the CCCP rather reluctantly (and never very fully) recognised their deviant Chinese "brothers". The myth on monolithic communism and a Chinese-Soviet friendship was (despite the medal) another cold war concoction. Remember that the Soviets gleefully plundered the factories in the only industrialised part of China (Manchuria) to rebuild their war-devestated industries and yanked their technical (civilian) advisors out in 1960 (burning blueprints and operating manuals as they left), leaving the Chinese to structure their own "Great Leap Forward".

• 11 months later...