News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Let us see those Riders Badges

Guest Rick Research

I suspect that because this gold class is zinky, it's a wartime piece. I had a gun-metal "silver" class one with sprayed on globby finish that would also not have met pre-war standards (long ago sold, alas).

But since ANY gold is rare, zinky or not, congratulations! :beer: There had ONLY been 210 golds awarded from 1931 to April 1942, and while awards continued at least into late 1943 (if not 1944), there would probably not have been many more than if even as many as 250 golds all told. IF the zinkies were indeed wartime, total numbers are in the no more than several dozen maximum. :o

:speechless1::jumping::jumping:

Thank you for your compliments! I remember you once telling me that these were rare... But I had no idea that they were that rare! When you sayseveral dozen badges... do you mean several dozen would have been issued these or several dozen made in total?

What do you mean by IF they are war time? Is there a chance that this is a repro?

Best regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

Guest Rick Research

The numbers issued may not accurately reflect the numbers MADE, since obviously people could and did buy duplicates (but not everybody did) and they obviously had to have some stock on hand in advance to issue.

But with the sorts of two-figures issued annually, I doubt very much that somebody ordered 1,000 of these ahead of time.

I say IF because while I've paid close attention to the National Sports Badges (DRA, DRL, DRL with Swastika), like the "war wounded" types, horsemanship ones are outside my personal experience, so anybody with better knowledge please advise. The ones I have seen and handled (usually the bronze grade) were all NICE quality. I've even seen a couple of REAL silver silver ones. So by those standards, I am guessing that your zinky type gold would be a wartime shortages example.

• 4 weeks later...

I do hope no one minds me posting these as they aren't 3rd Reich, I just think they are very similar to the untrained eye.

Note how the wrong mini was issued with the badge, I'm the only one who noticed it.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Has anybody else noticed how there's just no shortage of these boxed bronze ones floating around??

I have seen several of these boxed sets come up within the past few years... I simply thought that they were always for sale because of diminished appreciation and desirablity.

I remember seeing one on Ebay and another on Peter Weymond's site.

Tony,

Aren't they still issued like this?

I am sure one the "horse crowd" has shown one of these in the office recently.

David

They were issued post war... the only difference in the badge design was the absence of the "R" inside of a circle on the bottom portion of the wreath.

Guest Darrell

Here's a rather infamous figure with a badge he is never seen wearing :rolleyes:

I was wondering if Rick knows how Herr Fegelein did in the Olympics? Or any other tidbits on his award? ;)

Thank you for your addition Tony! A very nice carded group!! Is this early post war or a prewar variation?

Paul

Paul & David, they were awarded to my wife when she was young (19 years old/mid 80s), she also has the Fahrer-Abzeichen. Both are bronze.

Tony