News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is a cap I got some years ago and I believe it is of the Forestry section. It has a dark green band and piping and as you can see is an NCOs type, but with officers cockade.

Looking inside there are holes where a metal cockade has been.

The maker is Michovius of Cottbus.

My cap sees identical to the one shown on p. 269 of Wim Saris Vol. 1 on Headgear. The cloth is the same, and the band, but the metal cockade has been replaced with bullion.

The attached photo is another cap I would welcome comments on, particularly the cap cords. It is a Pekuro Civilian Technicians visor with silver/blue cords. It came to me with these on and if it was meant to deceive you would think it would be more appropriate to have put on ordinary cords.

The only link to such cords I have found is in Littlejohns book on the HJ, p.153, which shows an HJ Officers cap from a Flieger Tech Vorschule, and this has a silver and blue speckled chin strap. The tie in for me is that both this and mine have Technical associations...or is this just wishful thinking?

Has anyone seen this before?

If I remember correctly, these are sort of controversial. There is no photographic evidence(I have seen anyway) of the Logistics metal Chest eagle ever being worn on a visor.

You're right, Paul, in as much as it seems no photos exist of these caps, but are the examples in Saris and de Filippi fakes? From the former book it seems there is evidence from The Uniformen-Markt of July 1941 of issuance of these caps and I, for one, would accept Wim Saris' knowledge on that.

I am making more enquiries and if I learn anything more I will post.

I have spoken with Wim saris and he agrees there is no evidence of wear on visors of such insignia...Luft personnel wore on the left breast and civilian employees on the right.

So....are all the examples 'put together' ones? But the image in Wim's book of a bullion-type cog wheel on a visor leads me to think some personnel did their own thing. Whether mine is one of them I do not know.

I will have to check to see about the LW breast eagles, but I am confident that the last visor is not right at all. I dont know anything about LW Forestry, so I will wait for one of the Visor specials to comment.

I will have to check to see about the LW breast eagles, but I am confident that the last visor is not right at all. I dont know anything about LW Forestry, so I will wait for one of the Visor specials to comment.

Hello!

Ask Vestae.

All the best :beer:

Nesredep

The forestry cap has a distinct possibility to be real. I have a similar cap, but with the winged cockade embroidered on a green background. The Luftwaffe, as a direct result of Goering's conservation measures, controlled large areas of German forest.

The technical cap is also a possibility, although I realize that there is a dispute over whether these emblems were used on caps. To date, I don't believe anyone has ever uncovered a photo of an "officer" of these units wearing a visored cap, so this should not be automatically rejected. I also have in my collection an Erel with this emblem. Of course, it is possible that the vet just pinned it on, but the cap shows no sign of ever having another emblem. I realize that photo evidence exists of the emblem being worn on the breast by workers, but it strikes me a very strange that a badge intended only for breast wear would have pins more appropriate for cap mounting.

The forestry cap has a distinct possibility to be real. I have a similar cap, but with the winged cockade embroidered on a green background. The Luftwaffe, as a direct result of Goering's conservation measures, controlled large areas of German forest.

The technical cap is also a possibility, although I realize that there is a dispute over whether these emblems were used on caps. To date, I don't believe anyone has ever uncovered a photo of an "officer" of these units wearing a visored cap, so this should not be automatically rejected. I also have in my collection an Erel with this emblem. Of course, it is possible that the vet just pinned it on, but the cap shows no sign of ever having another emblem. I realize that photo evidence exists of the emblem being worn on the breast by workers, but it strikes me a very strange that a badge intended only for breast wear would have pins more appropriate for cap mounting.

Hello!

Harrier

Please post Your caps.

All the best :beer:

Nesredep

Hi,

I am HELPLESS at posting photos here. I will be glad to send them to you for posting or would need someone with the patience of Job to walk me through it!

Harrier

I haven't seen a cap with cog wheel like this in era pics sofar, not saying they didn't exist, but the fact that quite some are in collections might be because they're copied from books.

I've seen the cog wheel on jackets though..

Many caps are found without insignia and it's very tempting to convert one to a special one and make a few buck, the cog wheels can still be found.

The fact they've prongs is very strange indeed, not usual for the jacket.., I also have seen them with 2 eyelets at the back to secure them with a splitpin..

Another riddle to solve, I think only a photo will help and who knows ?

Quite some mysterys have been solved the last few years when a picture came to light..

Jos.

Jos,

I agree with you. The problem I have is that the one I have came from a vet years ago and I doubt if profit motivation had anything to do with it. Of course, it IS possible that he found a cap with no eagle and put the cogged wheel one on. I have certainly had caps from vets with totally inappropriate eagles, pins, etc. put on them.

Best,

Harrier