News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is Akaki Ekvtimovich Tutberidze. That's him in the first picture, sitting alone in 1924. Dressed in the field uniform choka of a young, handsome warrior from Kutaisi, Georgia. Kutaisi, Georgia's second city, the ancient capital of Colchis (thank you, Apollonius of Rhodes). You know, where the entire city government was arrested in 2005. Except for the mayor. How did that happen? But I digress.

And that's him with his three comrades in their formal dress chokas, also in 1924. A formal picture because they were getting their awards that day.

And what awards might that be? I knew you'd ask.

Their special badges for killing all those pesky gang-member Mensheviks, of course. Here's a picture of his: For the liquidation of political gangs in Shorapani and Chiatura Districts 1924.

Although you probably know it already, it bears mentioning anyway. Shorapani and Chiatura are two districts in western Georgia.

Apparently the badge wasn't enough. 42 years later he asked his local military district why he didn't receive a cool valor medal like all those other guys from the war. Actually, the story I heard was that he bugged the district for years before they finally gave in. Anyway, they did finally agree that Akaki deserved one of those cool medals and ... they awarded him one. Here's what they wrote, in the vein of "You're right, Akaki, you really did kill a bunch of Mensheviks in 1924. (sidebar: 42 freakin' years ago!) Way to go guy. Here's your medal."

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Chuck! this is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !

There would never have been ANY way to have ever dug out the "why" on this INDIVIDUAL award...

and you've got ALL of it.

42 years and he was still sulking because nobody thanked him enough for murdering fellow countrymen years AFTER the Civil War there was OVER. "Mopping up" unarmed neighbors... such a thankless and (sniff) underappreciated "sacrifice!"

History owes you one on this story! :cheers:

Aw, shucks. Thank you gentlemen.

Almost entirely unknown outside of Georgia -- and inside as well, the history having been completely suppressed until after independence -- there was a major White Army revolt in Georgia in 1924. It was viciously put down and no quarter was given. It was a war with no survivors on the White Army side. Akaki's Great Adventure was likely part of that.

Didn't I once share a badge for the valiant aerial bombing of a village during this conflict? I could swear I did but I can't find either the thread or the badge itself right now. I hate it when that happens.

Chuck

Didn't I once share a badge for the valiant aerial bombing of a village during this conflict? I could swear I did but I can't find either the thread or the badge itself right now. I hate it when that happens.

Chuck

Found it. It is Pilot Bedia's badge at post #4, here. Found the badge, too. I knew it was around here somewhere.

Does anyone happen to know of a history of this revolt? I wonder if one has never been written. Nice doctoral thesis for some aspiring youngster, if s/he could get access to some archives.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon