News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major a.D. Ohling, Telegrafenbataillon 3

Hello guys,

I am looking some information about the Major a.D. Ohling and Telegrafenbataillon 3 where he served.

Anything would be great - DOB, pinpack awards what he got during WW1, service in colonies, DOD. Also I would be very happy to find his picture!!!!!!!

Please help!

Timo/Noor

Edited by Noor

His ribbon bar:

1. EK2

2. RAO with X

3. Boxer Rebellion Medal

4. Kolonial Denkmuentze

5. OV (is it 2nd class knights or impossible to say?) - is it awarded during 1WW to him? Like I understand, only a small number of awards were made with swords - 107 during 1WW.

6. LS award

No 1897 jubilee medal - so he start service at least between 1899-1901 or he wasn't from Prussia native?

056284096f86d4_l.jpg

So, is this information correct here, what I just found:

Telegrafentruppen dienen zum Bau wie zur Zerst?rung von Telegrafenanlagen im Krieg.

Deutschland und Frankreich besa?en bis Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts im Frieden keine Telegrafentruppen (siehe Milit?rtelegrafie).

England verf?gte im Frieden ?ber ein Telegrafenbataillon in zwei Divisionen, von denen die eine stets kriegsbereit vollz?hlig und ausger?stet, die andere von der Staatstelegrafenverwaltung besch?ftigt war.

Italien hatte drei Telegrafenabteilungen von je zwei Kompanien zum 3. Genieregiment geh?rig; ?sterreich besa? ein Eisenbahn- und Telegrafenregiment von zwei Bataillonen zu vier Kompanien; Russland besa? 17 Kriegs- (Feld-) Telegrafenparke, welche den Sappeurbrigaden unterstellt waren.

Belgien, die Niederlande, Rum?nien, Schweden, Spanien etc. hatten im Frieden jeweils eine Telegrafenkompanie.

Main information about the history of this kind a specific troops. Nowadays is possible to call them "signal units"? How is the right term?

Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr. 3

Es unterstand dem VIII. Armeekorps bzw. der 2. Inspektion der Telegraphen-Truppen. Errichtungsjahr war 1899; Friedensstandort war die heutige Boelcke-Kaserne in Coblenz, 1914 auch Darmstadt.

And short information what I found about the unit. Can someone confirm, that its the right one?

Also about the location, where the unit was:

Die erste Kaserne auf diesem Gebiet wurde von 1896 bis 1899 auf dem Gel?nde der Moselwei?er Schanze (vormals auch Fort Bl?cher genannt) erbaut. Das Gel?nde war nach Beginn der Entfestigung der Festung Koblenz ab 1890 frei geworden. Diese erste Kaserne trug, nach der Erstbelegung durch das Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr. 3 am 2. Oktober 1899, den Namen Telegraphen-Kaserne. In zwei Etappen von 1906 bis 1912 und von 1911 bis 1915 wurde die Kaserne nach Norden und Nordwest hin erweitert.

Am 22. Todestag des deutschen Kampffliegers des Ersten Weltkriegs Oswald Boelcke wurde die Kaserne am 28. Oktober 1938 in Boelcke-Kaserne umbenannt. Dieser hatte von 1911 bis 1914 im Telegraphen-Bataillon gedient, das in dieser Kaserne stationiert war.

So, I try to find information about this unit and especially about the major. If someone have something or photo, please let me know! :jumping:

Also about the location, where the unit was:

So, I try to find information about this unit and especially about the major. If someone have something or photo, please let me know! :jumping:

I can't help you with information but I can offer an opinion. Nice ribbon bar with uncommon awards. :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Crown Order 4X, not Red Eagle Order 4X.

Offhand, I am all but certain that no Oldenburg House Order with Xs was awarded during the World War to anybody who did not also have an HOH3X, so without that ribbon, we can always assume such an Oldenburg award is colonial.

Thanks Rick for the Crown order information instead the RAO.

I got information already that he got OV3bX fo China campaign and not from world war!

I LOVE to get his picture :jumping:

Edited by Noor

Well it realy looks like Ohling, but there is a mistake in ribbon.

Crown-Order 4x ? 1906

OV3cx ? 1906

Both for GSWA.

O. stayed in GSWA 1905-1909. He was promoted Lieutenant 18 January 1901.

So he got the China-Medal, combat or non-combat and the GSWA-Medal and not the Colonial, i.e. wrong ribbon.

Thanks Bernd D! :jumping:

Great information, especially dates! I love to put together some dispaleis about the stuff what I have! Also give me chance to study items/period/etc more what is actually most important.

But most grateful I would be to find photos next to my items! Also unit flag/coat in arms/ etc. So, thanks again and every piece of information would be great! :beer:

Hmmm - am I the only one who has doubts about this bar? First, I can't imagine Ohling getting his DSWA ribbon wrong. But what's more - I don't like the stitching pattern at all. Looks very much like that found on recent fakes...