News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Peoples' Republic of Bulgaria Long Service Medals

One of the really interesting (and occassionally maddening) points to consider when broaching this subject is that the pentangle suspension for these awards remains consistent irrespective of the branch of service. Observed variation only occurs for the drop, or pendant. Armed Forces, Ministry of Interior (including KDS, Police, Fire, Border Guards, etc.), Construction Troops/Labor Corps have been observed.

Furthermore, the coat of arms for Bulgaria changes so each variation comes in two types!

How about we see how many variations we can come up with!?

I'll start us off with a complete documented set of Labor/Construction Corps Medals

• 4 weeks later...

:jumping:

Great set Rick, I especially like the doc with all threee classes in it !

I havent seen any boxes for theese medals , maybe they where to "common" to have there own box? :unsure:

Here my examples of Construction Corps with the earlier crest before 1971, I realized that I only have 1st and 2nd class :banger:

So now I have the hunt for a third class medal :lol: and some docs.....

The third class was for 10 years , 2nd = 15 years and 3rd = 20 years I think thats the same for all types.

Christer

And here is the other type of Long service medals :

To save time and space I show all 4 ! in one pic

Theese are for the personel working for the Ministery of Interior

Hmm, Police, Firebrigade and :rolleyes: Secret Police of course.... KDS

This is 2nd class of 4 different types look all the same dosn?t they?

FRONT

Edited by christerd

And the two rare types at last , I only have one KDS, thats why I choiced to show you 2nd class medals....

The firebrigade version had the MVR on the bottom erased and its quite scarce but the last type with the letters KDS is even more scarce !

And if anyone have a box for a KDS version I would really like to see it :cheers: (or a document)

Now I am going out in the sun, its almost 30 C here in Sweden now som Iam boiled sitting inside with a hot computer :cheeky::cheeky:

Christer

Guest Rick Research

Let's see if I understand this correctly. All these medals were created between 1959 and 1965 for the various different services?

But KDS ceased using these initials in 1969, before the change to new state crest reverse in 1971?

Hi Rick !

Lets see now : 1: Army Long Service 18th July 1959 2 different issues 1959-1971 and 1971-1991

2: For the Ministry of Interior personel, 27th August 1960 2 issues 1960-1971 and 1971 -1991

( + Firemen 1960-1971 only first issue without MVR)

3: Ministery of Interior KDS late 1964 1 issue 1964-1969

4: Construction Corps June 1969 2 issues 1969-1971, (just two years) and 1971-1991

And I just realized that I missed one type completly :banger:

Nr 2: The Ministery of Interior first issue with old state crest has TWO issues :speechless1:

maybe 2a= old crest MVR 2b= old crest M.V.R 2c= Firemen without MVR 2d= new crest

Here is pic of the two different issues of the 2a and 2b :cheeky:

I hope I didn?t mess it up now....

Christer

And here is my two boxes, both was delivered from seller with type 2b medals if I may call them so.

Ministery of Interior old crest without dots in MVR.

There is no crest on the box, but they do look old.

I think there is a lot to learn about theese LS medals :love:

Christer

I've seen titled cases for ministry of interior. I have not seen a titled case for any others. As an interesting aside.... Cuba did the same thing. Ministry of interior rated titled cases, even if they were plastic. Everybody else got a plain plastic case that looks like it comes out of a gumball machine....

So..... what does that tell you about the "status" of these employees vs. other state employees? So much for a classless society, eh?

Guest Rick Research

I did not realize that there WAS a Type 2b.

So at today's show... I found one. :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

Would not even have noticed if you hadn't pointed the difference out, Christer! :cheers:

Hi, everyone.

Absolutely right information about KDS, army and construction troops. What concern Ministry of Interior personel. There was 3 types and 1 additional variant of 1 type.

Please look at pictures:

1 type Variant 1 - old coat+MBR with dots

And the most rare service medals - KDS. The most interesting is that the most rare from them is 10 years service. There is version that only this medal was awarded to recepients. And after that (15, 20 years i mean) the members of KDS received medals for the MVR. Thats way this medal exist only with old coat. It was some kind of masking for the peoples who served in KDS.

Thats way on the market exist some amount of non-awarded items for 15 and 20 years in KDS and so small amount of 10 years service..... :cheers:

Edited by bolgarin