News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Next Malaysia

Hugh

• Replies 133
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are the Malays. I'll be adding a gaggle of Philippino to this board. I'll do closeups / names if anyone wants one.

Hugh

Please do.

Some of these are totally unfamiliar to me, e.g. the first one in the top left corner.

Have you collected or done anything on the orders, decorations or medals of the sultanates and principalities of Indonesia? Surakarta still hands out decorations and several of the other sultanates used to have orders before independence. However, nobody seems to know anything about them. I have asked several knowledgeable authorities in Holland and trailed their archive catalogues, but drawn blanks everywhere.

Cheers,

James

Please do.

Some of these are totally unfamiliar to me, e.g. the first one in the top left corner.

Have you collected or done anything on the orders, decorations or medals of the sultanates and principalities of Indonesia? Surakarta still hands out decorations and several of the other sultanates used to have orders before independence. However, nobody seems to know anything about them. I have asked several knowledgeable authorities in Holland and trailed their archive catalogues, but drawn blanks everywhere.

Cheers,

James

Unfortunately not. I've just finished posting all the Republik Indonesia medals I have in a different thread. I lived in Singapore for 7 years working in aerospace and defense, but Indonesia wasn't spending much on defense in those days (or now), so I didn't go that often. I got most of the RI campaign medals on a single afternoon in a tiny little military tailor shop in Surabaya where we were working with the Indon. Navy on torpedoes. Each one cost $5.21 at the then exchange rate, so I didn't have to limit myself. If you ever find anything on the sultanates, I'd love to see it / them.

I did get to Suryakarta (Solo) once for a couple of days, where I sat on a dirt floor in a hut and watched a bomoh (old witch doctor) cause a kris (ceremonial dagger about 15 inches long) to stand on its point. I was about 18 inches away from him / it, and tried to push it over, but couldn't. I can't imagine how he did it, so I bought the kris for about $10 - 15. It's quite good looking. But I digress.

I'll post the Malays individually later.

Best,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

Hugh,

I tried to upload scans of the Surakarta orders that I mentioned, but whatever I did they came out too large and were not accepted.

I am obviously doing something wrong so shall work on it a little longer.

Cheers,

James

The Upload limit is 110K, so you need to resize the images. I'm no expert but...I've been using IrfanView to resize pictures. Someone else has already posted a tutorial somewhere on this forum, and perhaps will lead you to it, but here's my take:

1. Download IrfanView (it's free)

2. Make a copy of your image to resize, so that you retain a full-fidelity original.

3. Open the copy with IrfanView (right click, select "Open with", click "IrfanView" when the drop-down menu opens).

4. Under the toolbar on top of the image, select "Image".

5. When the dropdown opens, select / click "Resize/Resample".

6. When the window opens, check "Set new size" (Top left sector)

7. Click "Preserve aspect ratio" (bottom left)

8. Look at the numbers in the "Width" and "Height" windows (top left). Set the smaller of these two to 500 pixels. The other number should automatically reset to 666.

9. "Save As" the adjusted image. and check it for size. It should be around 100K, which will upload nicely and retains surprising clarity.

10. Open a GMIC Topic and upload the image by

a. Clicking the Browse button and select the image from your file

b. After you get the msg that it has uploaded successfully, click the green "Upload" button.

If you have done this successfully, the window above these buttons will show "Manage current attachments (1)" With the 110K limit, you won't have room for more than one att. / window.

11. Click the "Reply" button to send as usual.

Edited by Hugh

Cleaned it up, Huigh. Something has been strange.

Thanks, Ed

I suspect you're the one who put me on to IrfanView, but didn't remember it a few minutes ago.

Hugh

Actually, I used to use PhotoShop but now use almost exclusively Paint Shop Pro (though the price on IrfanView is surely right, though I like the name "KnowingView" -- actually, in Christianity-English, "GnosisView" might be better).

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Hugh,

Actually my limit seems to be lower than 110 due to the level of my membership, so can I send them to you privately to your e-mail address? Cutting the images down to 70K would not do them justice.

Cheers,

James

I am also happy to help, James. PM sent. Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic collection Hugh!

We definitely need some close ups! :D

I'll get to it in the next couple of days. I hope you've had a chance to look at the Surakarta ODM I posted for James Hoard in another thread.

Best,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

OK, here's a teaser - left to right

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Datuk Patinggi Bintang Kenyalang (DP), 1st Class, Darjah Utama Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak (The Most Eminent Order of the Most Esteemed Star of Kenyalang Sarawak), Shoulder Sash with badge and star, old style, Mint Alan Tan, Singapore, 5/91

MALAYSIA TERENGGANU - Darjah Kebesaran Sultan Mahmud Terengganu Yang Amat Dihormati (The Most Honourable Order of Sultan Mahmud of Terengganu), 1st Class - Seri Setia Sultan Mahmud Terengganu (SSMT), Collar in gold with badge and star, Mint

Alan Tan, Singapore, 3/92

MALAYSIA TERENGGANU - Darjah Kebesaran Sultan Mahmud Terengganu Yang Amat Dihormati (The Most Honourable Order of Sultan Mahmud of Terengganu), 1st Class - Seri Setia Sultan Mahmud Terengganu (SSMT), Collar in gold with badge and star, Mint

Alan Tan, Singapore, 3/92

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Datuk Patinggi Bintang Kenyalang (DP), 1st Class, Darjah Utama Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak (The Most Eminent Order of the Most Esteemed Star of Kenyalang Sarawak), Shoulder Sash with badge, new style, Mint

Alan Tan, Singapore, 5/91

That little red and blue guy between the first two sashes is from the Philippines - we'll get to him later, along with the rest of the Malays.

Edited by Hugh

Absolutely Wonderful!! Many Thanks, Hugh!! Eagerly awaiting further enlargements! Are these mainly Spink production? I know there are [were] several Singapore makers or jobbers, including Eng Leong and Military Suppliers.

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Datuk Patinggi Bintang Kenyalang (DP), 1st Class, Darjah Utama Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak (The Most Eminent Order of the Most Esteemed Star of Kenyalang Sarawak), Shoulder Sash with badge and star, old style, Mint Alan Tan, Singapore, 5/91

Simply wonderful Hugh, thanks again for posting.

I was wondering what the first one was, having never seen it before.

Cheers,

James

Absolutely Wonderful!! Many Thanks, Hugh!! Eagerly awaiting further enlargements! Are these mainly Spink production? I know there are [were] several Singapore makers or jobbers, including Eng Leong and Military Suppliers.

922F

I wonder if there are any major Malaysian based mints? I wonder if there are any major Malaysian based mints?

Raz

Many of my Malay state pieces (not federal) came from a little second story flatted-factory out toward Paya Lebar (Singapore). He had the contract for Sarawak and Terangannu at that time. Eng Leong, another Singapore company has also had contracts for some of the states. He maintains a wonderful website. They gave me a fabulous tour of their factory one day, just because I knew their Managing Director back when he was an engineer for the RSAF. Seeing the process was a delight. Nice people. I'm not aware of an official mint in Malaysia.

Back in the 80's - '90's, Singapore's ODM were made by Chartered Industries, their government-owned ammo company. They had a little display room just inside the barbed wire. The MinDef building in Singapore also has a nice display.

Hugh

I just love the whole story of Sarawak and the Brooke family. It's a lovely place to visit, and the Istana is right on the river. Must have been pestilential in the old days. Bring me a gin pahit!

Sarawak Star of Kenyalang Sarawak - the star