News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

57 versions of the 2nd & 1st Class Bars to the EKs

Hello

I have just received a set of the 57 new form versions of the Bars to the Iron Cross 2nd and 1st class.

The 2nd class version is to the left in the photos.

As usual, any comments or observations welcomed.

Hi David,

Very nice! :jumping: Thing is... they both look the same to me. Is there a size or color difference that designates the 1st from the 2nd? I've only seen pics of these, never any in person and can't remember alot about them. I will say that compared with the old WWII spanges I think these were rather a poor substitute by comparison. Don't get me wrong... I like them... they're just not as big and impressive as the originals. A shame they couldn't do the eagles clasping the bar with the 1939 date in place of the swaz. Sigh.

But again, very nice pieces. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Ahhhhh, wait! Now I see one difference at least. One is a pin back whereas the other has those bend over tabs. But are there any differences on the obverse? I can't tell. :unsure:

Hello

As Dan spotted, the only difference is that the 2nd class has the two prongs, to attach it to a piece of ribbon, and the 1st class has the pin to allow it to be fastened to the tunic. Otherwise the fronts are the same.

I agree Dan, not a patch on the Third Reich bars - those eagles are just something else - but still part of the 57 new form pieces.

Hello

As Dan spotted, the only difference is that the 2nd class has the two prongs, to attach it to a piece of ribbon, and the 1st class has the pin to allow it to be fastened to the tunic. Otherwise the fronts are the same.

I agree Dan, not a patch on the Third Reich bars - those eagles are just something else - but still part of the 57 new form pieces.

Oh definitely! :jumping::jumping: And that's the major difference I'm guessing... one would go on the ribbon of the IC 2nd (I take it they didn't wear the ribbons themselves on the front button of the tunic in the West German services?) and the other would be worn on the front of the tunic (Above the ribbons? Can't see something that small (it is small right?) being worn where the original wartime spanges were.)

But great pieces. :beer: Hoping I'll be able to add some to my small but ever growing 57 collection some day.

Hello

You are correct in saying that the 2nd class bar would be worn on a piece of ribbon, as was it's WW2 counterpart, and yes, the 1st class would be worn on the tunic above the EK. Size wise the EK2 bar is 29.81mm long, and the EK1 bar is 29.86mm long.

Hi,

in the regulations (pictures) from 1958 about the 1957 versions you can find only one bar on page 6:

Spange zum Eisernen Kreuz des Weltkrieges 1914/18

My both bars are 29.85 mm long.

Please see here:

http://www.ordensmuseum.de/Ordensjournal/O...16Jan0857er.pdf

Regards

Uwe

Hello Uwe

Good to see you on the forums again - I've not seen you post anything for a while, well not in the sections I've been looking at or posting in. :cheers:

Yes, there is only the one shown, but then as they are only showing one side of all the new form items I suppose it wouldn't make much sense to put two identical photos on it.