News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on a WW1 trio.

Guest Rick Research

So maybe he was only an acting-Captain later? :rolleyes:

:cheeky:

I love the internet. It is like being a child on Christmas morning all the time, being delighted at what IS "findable" out there. :beer:

Rick Research wrote: "So maybe he was only an acting-Captain later?"

If this is in reference to his BWM and VM being named to him as a Lieutenant rather than a Captain, it would not make any difference whether he was a substantive Captain, an acting Captain or a temporary Captain. Those two medals were named to a man as a Captain no matter which of the three varieties of rank he held. The most likely reason why his BWM and VM were named as a Lieutenant was that it was the highest rank he held in a theater of war. He must have held the rank of Captain outside of a theater of war. The regulations were such that those two medals were named in the highest rank held in a theater of war. Regards. Gunner 1

Hello! Great to see this thread come back up again! Many thanks Gunner 1 for the extra information. I am looking at some old Cross & Cockade magazines looking for reference to him or the 15 Squadron.

Rick - I got the little joke. There were a few actors in my family ya know.

• 11 months later...
    • 13 years later...
    On 16/10/2020 at 08:04, CRBeery said:

After 15 years...

Well done! This is exactly why I collect, I'm always looking for more info about the people behind the items. Sometimes the patience and research pays off, sometimes it doesn't but it's definitely an amazing journey.