News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Piercing Yet Another Price Threshold

To all:

Currently listed with an asking price of $17,500.00 - an aggregate 2,200% price increase since 1992.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Not being an expert on Soviet awards (Or anything else for that matter), just what is it that makes this command such a high (Inflated?) price?

regards

Alex

A complex question:

1- What it represents = three consecutive acts of extreme combat gallantry.

2- That it can be (and has been) researched.

3- Intrinsic value (gold).

4- That a lot of folks (especially in Russia) have the money for something like this.

A complex question:

4- That a lot of folks (especially in Russia) have the money for something like this.

To all:

To Ed's points let me add:

5 - The first class was only awarded for acts of valor during the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945). More specifically, from the date of the order's institution in November 1943 until hostilities against Japan ceased in August 1945.

6 - It is an exceedingly rare Soviet military valor decoration. It was only awarded some 2,600 times. In reality, even fewer first class awards were actually presented/are available. This is due to the fact the gold first class order was not presented when the recipient was KIA - either as a result of performing the act of valor that resulted in him being awarded the first class order or during combat action thereafter (and before the first class order could be presented).

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

A complex question:

Hi Ed

Thanks for the info

1) this I can certainly live with

2) this will always add some value to any decoration

3) Are they made of solid gold (Genuine Question)? if so there is obviously some intrinsic purely mettalic value therefore I would expect a premium on their value

4) It would appear that "New Money" from wherever it comes, has no limits. I seem to remember that with the demise of the Soviet Empire, Soviet and other eastern block militaria could be bought by the bucketful for the price of a McBurger. (But at the time no-one seemed interested)

Maybe we were all short sighted when the only thing that mattered was TR and Imperial German! Lucky guys who saw the potential and got in there. What's next Albanian?

Quick edit

I notice an number on the reverse, this being 1526, would this be the recipients number?, also I notice no Hallmark, would this be normal with soviet decorations, once again I I proffess my ignorance but genuine curiosity.

regards

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

3) Are they made of solid gold (Genuine Question)? if so there is obviously some intrinsic purely mettalic value therefore I would expect a premium on their value

regards

Alex K

Alex K,

Yes. It is roughly an ounce of 950/23 karat gold.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Alex K,

Yes. It is roughly an ounce of 950/23 karat gold.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Interesting, that would make it nearly pure gold. I can see why it would command a premium price, forgetting other details.

regards

Alex

I notice an number on the reverse, this being 1526, would this be the recipients number?, also I notice no Hallmark, would this be normal with soviet decorations, once again I I proffess my ignorance but genuine curiosity.

regards

Alex K

Alex K,

Correct. This serial number is linked to the awardee. The gold Orders of Glory 1st class do not bear a hallmark.

Regards,

slava1stclass

To all:

As a basis for comparison:

- Price for a Full Cavalier/Knight set in January 1998 - $3,500.00

- Price for a Full Cavalier/Knight set in October 2007 - $21,000.00

- Price for a single Order of Glory 1st Class in June 2000 - $1,570.00

- Price for a single Order of Glory 1st Class in July 2008 - $17,500.00

Regards,

slava1stclass

To all:

Regards,

slava1stclass

If looking brainlessly at these figures, it means that someone having invested in single OG1s would have had a better return :rolleyes:

Marc

Lapa,

To indicate how quickly these orders have become unattainable for most.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Slava,

There are quite a few other Soviet orders that fit that bill, yet we don't keep throwing figures around when one (or several) of them are on offer :rolleyes:

Marc

Slava,

There are quite a few other Soviet orders that fit that bill, yet we don't keep throwing figures around when one (or several) of them are on offer :rolleyes:

Marc

Marc,

Valid point. As you know, however, my focus area has always been the Order of Glory therefore my specific interest in tracking its related developments.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

What is the point of constantly monitoring price changes, then?

So I can laugh my a$$ off at the people who told me that I was wasting my money on this stuff as it would never be worth anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear slava1stclass,

what might be the market price for a Full Cavalier/Knight set of your very 1st category (+ fully researched) in August 2008 :unsure: ?

Might it be in the range of about USD 50k :unsure: ?

Another statistic fact is, that the price increase for the "Slavas" - in comparison to other Soviet top items - was still rather moderate, despite it's historic importance and rarity & full documentation.

Many thanks for your expertise :cheers: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

To all:

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by Christian Zulus