News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgrade medal for commentary

Here is Belgrade medal for your collective wise consideration. All comments welcomed, especially if supported by reasons.

Apparently polished, with polish residue?

Ed,

I believe that this medal is no good.

. Obverse: shape of the letters (especially 'О', 'Б' and 'Ж'), various small details in the wreath (especially shape of leaves), skinny star

. Reverse: wrong letters and digits (especially '2', '4', 'К', 'Я'), skinny star

. Ring solder not up to par, although the mint is known to have put some less than perfect ones in circulation...

Marc

Thanks, Marc. My "gut" had told me bad, but want to learn just why. I know we run the risk of educating the fakers, but sometimes, in the interest of educating the unwashed masses (like me), we may need to test or cross that line?

Thanks, Marc. My "gut" had told me bad, but want to learn just why. I know we run the risk of educating the fakers, but sometimes, in the interest of educating the unwashed masses (like me), we may need to test or cross that line?

Ed,

Believe me, the fakers have not waited for us to explain how to spot the fakes to improve their "art".

Marc

thats mad!! i was going to start my own thread on my Belgrade medal!so what do you guys think?

Paddy,

I don't like it either. It has the strangest pebbling on the front that I have ever seen. some letters and the '2' are off on the back. Overall, quite a nice fake.

Marc

Ed,

Believe me, the fakers have not waited for us to explain how to spot the fakes to improve their "art".

Marc

Thanks (again), Marc. Still, I don't like to do ANYTHING that might help "them", but, still, I want to learn. This one came as probably fake and my "gut? confirmed this and I am glad to see a detailed diagnosis. I learn. Slowly. Almost happy (?) I have been priced out of anything that does not come with a 100% solid provenence. Ed

Moved!

I suggest that any threads concerning fakes or identification of medals are started in the fakes forum in so far as one is trying to establish or otherwise the veracity of any ODM. At best they will be moved out if the content deserves that.

As Marc said, fakers have used their own initiative and are not waiting for us. However, I still believe that certain threads may serve to educate them in certain aspects so yes, a proetcted part of the forum is always better for these discussion.

Best regards

Jim

• 1 year later...