News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

As some of you observed, last week?s OMSA convention offered a surprisingly strong array of Imperial German items. Among other things, I managed to bring home two little friends.

First is a miniature of the Schaumburg-Lippe Order for Arts & Science, 1st cl., 1899-1914 with an added bonus of a correct ribbon which is probably as rare as the decoration itself.

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1: :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Since there were only 22-24* Schaumburg KuWs of that type--and one recipient lived in Caldwell, New Jersey of all places--I would never have IMAGINED there would have been any market for Tinies!!!!!!! :jumping::cheers:

* 1 could have been the new M1914 from award date-- Roll doesn't specify, and another is an asserted recipient in the Orders Almanac NOT shown on the Roll. Odd combination of musicians, actors, and a wandering Bavarian Army officer who rivalled Scott in the Antarctic. 4 recipients were foreigners.

:speechless1: Holy sh**!

I sold my order for art and science 1st class at the beginning of this year...the big brother of your wonderful mini!

And I never saw this mini before...congratulation, a good buying.

By the way, the ribbon is the same for the house order Schaumburg-Lippe and Lippe-Detmold.

(If you need a picture of my 2nd class with women-style ribbon, you?ll find it here online...).

Best regards

Roman

P.S.: I just found a photo of my 1st class...but definitly SOLD! :banger:

OMG!!! :Cat-Scratch::speechless1:

It really pays to go to the conventions then, eh?

I can not recommend it highly enough.

You are not going to find a genuine PLM for $1,500 but usually there is something for everybody. There is, however, another factor which is hard to describe but I think is worth mention.

Sure, it?s not like ?the good old days?, but even with the recent passing of ?The Giants? of American Imperial German collectors there is a wealth of knowledge present in the form of an emerging new generation of collectors. Many of these collectors (and I might add, dealers), both American and German, many of whom are members of this forum, are most generous in sharing their knowledge.

Aside from all of that, they are a good bunch to spend a couple of days with. Yes, I recommend it.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Since there were only 22-24* Schaumburg KuWs of that type--and one recipient lived in Caldwell, New Jersey of all places--I would never have IMAGINED there would have been any market for Tinies!!!!!!! :jumping::cheers:

* 1 could have been the new M1914 from award date-- Roll doesn't specify, and another is an asserted recipient in the Orders Almanac NOT shown on the Roll. Odd combination of musicians, actors, and a wandering Bavarian Army officer who rivalled Scott in the Antarctic. 4 recipients were foreigners.

Thanks Rick. You are, of course, correct. I might add that, according to Nimmergut, there were only 33 W?rttemberg 1892-1918 small arts and science medals (posts #2 & #3) coined, if not awarded.

Actually, I have found that higher (and rarer) awards seem to be surprisingly existent as minis. 1st, 2nd and 3rd class Red Eagles and Crown Orders (Prussian) are almost common. One reason might be that the people who usually received these higher awards had the money (and ego) to afford these pieces.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

Thank you very much Solomon. I was indeed fortunate to get this little piece - although I did not realize exactly how fortunate at the time.

Thanks also for posting your full size piece. Aside from showing more detail, I think that it better illustrates the more creative design often found among the arts and science decorations.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

P.S. Why do we so often later regret the selling of these treasures?

I can not recommend it highly enough.

You are not going to find a genuine PLM for $1,500 but usually there is something for everybody. There is, however, another factor which is hard to describe but I think is worth mention.

Sure, it?s not like ?the good old days?, but even with the recent passing of ?The Giants? of American Imperial German collectors there is a wealth of knowledge present in the form of an emerging new generation of collectors. Many of these collectors (and I might add, dealers), both American and German, many of whom are members of this forum, are most generous in sharing their knowledge.

Aside from all of that, they are a good bunch to spend a couple of days with. Yes, I recommend it.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

I would like to add to this that it is for sure the most diverse medal fair world wide. From Annam to Zansibar, there is something for everybody. Do not underestimate the networking opportunities. I have been attending OMSA for almost 11 years now and had fun every time.