News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 Brit DFC Group

Yep, the DFC is named, the set is named and was mounted for display by Spink itself! A rather large group of papers, photographs and other items are included. Portraits, his cap, unit patch/emblem, etc. Numerous official communiques including a letter of apology from the king over his inability to present the award himself. The DFC citation is there, specifies a rather high number of risky "pathfinder" missions, marking missions, etc. Rather spiffy group actually.

I'm a neophyte with Brit stuff but this one has captured my imagination due to the quality and completeness.

Any guidance on value would be appreciated!

If there is provenance and documentation beyond the spiffy bronze plaque, this is a group that would attract a lot of interest. The danger, of course, is that the Brits did not name their WWII medals (and any naming on the DFC would have been later, unofficial); this makes the "assembly" of "groups" an active cottage industry (ditto the preperation of mounds of fraudulent paperwork).

The stakes are high. While I don't like quoting prices and while many -- myself included -- criticise the volume, the Medal Yearbook 2006 provides a price guide (of sorts):

DFC 1 bar (attributed) - GBP 2500-4000

39-45 Star - GBP 10-12

ACE Star with F&G clasp - GBP 175-195

Defence Medal - GBP 16-18

War Medal - GBP 10-12

Add these up and add, say, 20-25% (more if these are sexy DFC recommendations) and you see why someone would want to fake such groups.

OUCH! Perhaps a group best left for someone much more informed than me! Holy Mackeral. The question then becomes, how easy would it be for someone to assemble a "fake mounted Spink set" to go with the reams of paperwork. There's portraits both during/after the war. An oil painting of this chap, photos of planes, crashes, etc. It's a pretty hefty grouping. I have additional pix if this would help?

Building groups is a national passtime for crooked dealers in England.

as Ed says, unless these are to a South African (or Rhodesian) the service medals should not be named.

Of course, the recipient could have had then privately named. most Brit collectors like to have the papers and at least one officially named medal (just to proove the seller is not justselling a paper lot with made up medals).

Its a bit like German groups with unnamed medals, if you know where they are from, fine. but some guys wont touch them.

WW2 British is too dodgy for me :-(

As Chris suggests, 50% "gut" 50% provenance. And for a high ticket group . . . ??

I'd want to see better scans of the DFC and of the naming (are the naming and the date engraved in the same "hand" - oh!).

As India (post-1947 meaning) also named (most of) their WWII medals, things are easier for me than for a "straight" Brit collector, but some 100% groups are also 100% unnamed. For example http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2331&st=6 -- as it came direct from his grandson, I feel safe.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Hi Chris, only reason I even brought it up. My "bells" were going off pretty strongly based on the details/photos given. On a "gut-call" basis, I was in.... but again, literally having minimal experience with this and knowing the minefield I was wandering into...... well, enough said there.

I don't know the seller from Adam, I was turned onto this buy another fellow. I guess we will see where it goes.

All other comments, thoughts, insights and direction would be most graciously appreciated!

Rick,

Just something I noticed that doesn't make any difference to the grouping; the framing must be post 1952 as the plaque says "by appointment to her Majesty" and the RAF cap has the Queen's crown.

Very nice lot though.

Tony

Edited by Tony