News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I've received these unmarked clasps with some badges and was hoping for some help. I am fairly certain they are genuine. Are all three zink? I think the Aufklaerer and Fighter are , but the Bomber lacks the backing plate on the hinge. As always , I thank everyone for their input.

Best

Kurt

The first is the bronze fighter:

I believe they're all original and the repair appears to be period. As John says, it's nicely done. They were indeed quite fragile, due to the holes adjacent to the wreath, and tombak and zinc clasps often cracked at one or more of these points, especially if the wearer applied pressure to the badge and/or the pin in an attempt to bend one or both to induce more pressure between the pin and the hook, lessening the risk of losing the clasp. The holes were a silly idea for obvious reasons but do you think they were initially intended for the suspension of hangers by hooks and chains, before the soldered eyelet system was adopted?

PK

Thanks , guys!

As for the holes. Sometimes , at a so-called 'hinge' , as one might call the connection between the leaves and the wreath , the strength can actually be increased by adding the holes. This will increase the amount of stress and deflection that the area can withstand without failing. If the badge makers determined that the highest stress would occur in that area , they might have added the holes to actually try and prevent breakage. Just a thought.

Best

Kurt