News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here's one that has just arrived on my doorstep. Nice late-war tombak issue piece from Juncker outlet. Never had a pin or catch from outset just 8 tiny sew on holes around edge of badge. Hard to find variant. Ferg1.

413.jpg

412.jpg

Great piece Ferg, one on my want list for sure. I recently picked up a nice Flieger-Erinnerungsabzeichen with provenance to a two-victory member of Jasta Boelcke.

@Ferg1

Looks vary nice to me. Like this hollow bagdes. Thank for share with us.

@VtwinVince

That sounds great. Please show us this treasure. The Flieger-Erinnerungsabzeichen is one of my most wanted aviation badges.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

I for some reason cannot post photos on this site, but I can send scans if someone would like to post for me. His name is Leutnant Robert Strey, two victories over Macedonia with Jasta 25. I have several items belonging to him, and am in the process of trying to secure his silver Ehrenbecher.

Rick, there is a little info on Strey in O'Connor's series, and I have some documentation on his career, which included two stints with Jasta "B" in 1917 and 1918. There is a fantastic group photo of him with such luminaries as Bernert, Baeumer, Frommherz etc. He was a Hauptmann in 1940 as well.

Rick, there is a little info on Strey in O'Connor's series, and I have some documentation on his career, which included two stints with Jasta "B" in 1917 and 1918. There is a fantastic group photo of him with such luminaries as Bernert, Baeumer, Frommherz etc. He was a Hauptmann in 1940 as well.

VtwinVince: Do you have sufficient material to establish an aviation service record for him?

Thanks, Rick

Edited by Rick

Rick, I have a fairly detailed history of his WW 1 activities, but not WW 2. If Ferg doesn't mind, I can send him scans of the badge for posting.

I'd really appreciate learning his WWI history. Perhaps this would be better handled off-line (so as not to bore everyone). Could you send me a PM, or use my E-Mail:

Duiven@Yahoo.com

Thanks much, Rick

I for some reason cannot post photos on this site, but I can send scans if someone would like to post for me. His name is Leutnant Robert Strey, two victories over Macedonia with Jasta 25. I have several items belonging to him, and am in the process of trying to secure his silver Ehrenbecher.

I checked my notes on a book I have, "War Flying in Macedonia" by Heydemark for any reference to Strey -none. That doesn't mean he wasn't there, only perhaps Heydemark personally didn't know enough of him to put him in his book. I have a document group to a pilot who flew in the Struma sector and I felt lucky just to have his name mentioned in the book. On the last page! In typical fashion of the day, when the plane he was in was forced down the injuries of the observer (an officer) were noted, but the sergeant/pilot -not a word.

Because of this group I have a particular interest in this front. Your group sounds excellent and I would really like to see scans/photos of it! What items do you have?

Since no one else listed this information, and at the risk of listing something everyone knows, I'll post some known facts here;

Uffz Strey

J25

Victories:

1. 11/3/17 Caudron NW Kenali

2. 18/3/17 EA Monastir

------------------------------------------

Claudius, as I've mentioned, Strey is listed in Neal O'Connor's series, and there are a couple of pictures of him as well. His second victory, according to the confirmation from Kogenluft, was over a "Gitterrumpf" DD, or lattice-tail biplane. I think Strey is probably the least-known of the Jasta Boelcke pilots, probably because he didn't score any victories with this unit, due to the lingering aftereffects of a serious accident in Macedonia. I have his EK 1, awarded April 1917, a couple of his wound badges, two of his feldspanges, two flying caps and a model of an ME 110 presented to him in 1940. I am trying to negotiate for the Ehrenbecher and the Jasta Boelcke Cuff Title, which are still in the possession of the family. My apologies to Ferg for completely hijacking his thread.

• 1 month later...