News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who am I?

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

Christian Zulus,

RedThreat has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Who am I?

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

Dear "Red Threat",

sorry, you gave the answer by yourself ;) .

The scanned photo shows the name in it's code .... as I saw in the mail from GMIC: attachment=74265:GenBrusilov.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksei_Brusilov famous for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusilov_offensive in WW I.

Please post another question :love: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Guest RedThreat

sorry, you gave the answer by yourself ;) .

The scanned photo shows the name in it's code .... as I saw in the mail from GMIC: attachment=74265:GenBrusilov.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksei_Brusilov famous for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusilov_offensive in WW I.

Please post another question :love: .

Christian

Christian:

You got me there. :D Below is a photo of another WWI hero who is more known for his pre-war accomplishments. Does anybody recognize him?

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

He is Pyotr Nesterov.

Pyotr Nesterov (27 February 1887 - 8 September 1914) was a Russian pilot and aircraft technical designer.

His bio :

"The son of a Military Academy teacher, Pyotr Nesterov chose a military career. In August 1904 he left the military school in Nizhny Novgorod and went to the artillery school, considered one of the best of its kind. He became a second lieutenant and served in the 9th East Siberian artillery brigade in Vladivostok. In 1909, he came into contact with aviation when he was sent to an aircraft manufacturer. He built his first glider and learned to fly it.

In 1911 Nesterov began formal training as a pilot and graduated on 11 October 1912. A short time later he also passed the examination to be a military pilot. In May 1913 he became leader of a relay in Kiev, completing night flights at that time.

Nesterov believed that an aircraft could fly a loop, a feat not previously performed. Despite the doubts of his peers, Nesterov proved his theory on 27 August 1913 and became the first pilot to fly a loop. This achievement made him famous overnight. He soon thereafter founded the practice of aerobatics, stressing the value of these exercises for a military pilot. Nesterov improved the flight methods and designed new flight models without rudders.

The First World War gave Nesterov the opportunity to test his air war theories in practice. He was particularly adept at controlling the bomb release.

Aircraft were unarmed at this early stage, so Nesterov became the first to perform a suicide plane crash in the history of aviation. On 26 August 1914 he rammed an Austrian reconnaissance plane Albatros B.II of Observer Baron Friedrich von Rosenthal and pilot Franz Malina from FLIK 11. Eager to destroy enemy aircraft, he probably intended to hit it with a landing gear of his Morane-Saulnier monoplane, but he hit it with propeller and as a result, both planes fell. Both pilots and Observer died. The town of Zhovkva (currently in Lviv Oblast, Ukraine) near the famous air fight was renamed Nesterov, though it has since reverted to Zhovkva.

Nesterov was buried in Kiev, Ukraine. His ramming method was used during the Second World War by several Soviet pilots with success and without their loss of life. The air-combat technique of ramming Nesterov pioneered became known in Russian as Taran. In honor of Nesterov the Soviet Union established the Nesterov's cup for the best aerobatics crew."

Ch.

Guest RedThreat

Thanks Simon. :jumping:

I'm afraid it will be my turn to post a question... :blush:

Cheers.

Ch.

Christian,

There is nothing to be afraid of.

Well done Christophe, but do you get points for identifying a feudal tasrist pawn in a Soviet forum?

Mr. Smartass:

Nesterov was a pawn who became a queen. If you read Christophe's post, you would have learned what important role he played in the Soviet history. He was the first pilot to ram an enemy plane. Following his example, Soviet pilots rammed Nazi planes.

Mr. Smartass:

Nesterov was a pawn who became a queen. If you read Christophe's post, you would have learned what important role he played in the Soviet history. He was the first pilot to ram an enemy plane. Following his example, Soviet pilots rammed Nazi planes.

Mr. "Red Treat",

I do not in the slightest appreciate your tone. You are welcvome top like me ort not but you are not welcome to attack me this way.

Please be quiet if you ahve nothing useful to add.

Guest RedThreat

Well done Christophe, but do you get points for identifying a feudal tasrist pawn in a Soviet forum? :rolleyes:

How useful was this comment?

So, let's cool the air with a few stats... :rolleyes:

This small game has now been launched 16 months ago now (on 1 Nov. 2005), and since :

* 69 questions asked,

* with 865 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 8850 times.

* 29 Members of the Forum played, and 21 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 9 : Bryan (Soviet) and Christophe

* 8 : Christian (Zulus) and Simon (Red Threat)

* 4 : Ed (Haynes)

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred) and Kim (Kimj).

* 2 : Auke (Ferdinand), Belaruski, Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Ivan (Piramida), Jan (vatjan), Order of Victory, and Wild Card.

* 1 : Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Rick (Stogieman) and Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation.

Now, let's continue to have fun again :rolleyes: with the 70th question... >Mine!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Bye.

Dear Ed,

I hope, you will - as a true comrade - stay in our quiz :love: .

Nesterov had been a really important guy in aviation and he is also mentioned in all books dealing with Soviet aviation or Soviet airforce. He died as a young man in august 1914. But I am sure, that he would have joined the Red Army, if he would have survied WW I :D .

I regarded your commentary more from the metaphorical side - you are right: As a person, Nesterov had nothing to do with CCCP, but for the further development of Soviet aviation he had been important. For that aspect, I assume, the RF devoted a medal to him.

Simon's adressing you as "Mr. Smartass" for your metaphorical commentary has no metaphorical character and is simply an insult - specially, if he takes your love to the Russian people and your achievments in phaleristics concerning Communist Awards into account.

A nice excuse towards you from Simon might be approbriate :D .

Christian

My question :

Honorary Revolutionary Weapons

These Honorary Revolutionary Weapons were a specific kind of decoration awarded in the Armed Forces of the USSR within 1919-1930.

They followed a tradition already implemented by the French Revolution at the beginning of the XIXth century.

These weapons were awarded by the Presidium of the All-Russia Central Executive Committee, and Revolutionary Military Soviet of the Republic. The decree dated 8 April 1920 says : "The Honorery Revolutionary Weapon, being an extraordinary distinction, is awarded for outstanding feats of arms performed by senior commanding officers of the Army in the field."

The weapons took two forms :

* a sword (cold steel)

* a firearm (revolver)

Both of them beared the Order of the Red Banner of the RSFSR.

In total, 21 Soviet military leaders received this award.

My questions, in 3 fold :

The Sword :

1a. Who were the two first Soviet military leaders who have been awarded such a Honorary Weapon (sword) ?

1b. When did this happen ? Particularity of this event, in terms of timeline ?

The Firearm :

2a. Who were the two first Soviet military leaders who have been awarded the Firearm Honorary Weapon ?

2b. When ? Specific point about this ?

The 1930 Sword :

3a. Between 1921 and 1930, no Honorary Revolutionary Weapon has been awarded. Only one (a sword) has been since, in 1930.

When ? To whom ? For which achievement ?

3b. What is the specificity of this sword compared to the ones awarded in 1919-1930 ?

Quite an extensive range of questions about these weapons.

The winner will be the first one to give me all the correct answers, or to answer the maximum of these 6 questions. :beer:

Good hunt. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Pic : Soviet Honorary Revolutionary Weapon (sword) - 1919-1921

Edited by Christophe

The Sword :

1a. Who were the two first Soviet military leaders who have been awarded such a Honorary Weapon (sword) ?

The Firearm :

2a. Who were the two first Soviet military leaders who have been awarded the Firearm Honorary Weapon ?

The 1930 Sword :

3a. Between 1921 and 1930, no Honorary Revolutionary Weapon has been awarded. Only one (a sword) has been since, in 1930.

3b. What is the specificity of this sword compared to the ones awarded in 1919-1930 ?

Quite an extensive range of questions about these weapons.

2. Firearm:

a) S. S. Kamenev & S. M. Budyonny.

b) January the 26th, 1921, Order No. 28 by the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic.

3. 1930 Sword:

a) S. S. Vostretsov "for outstanding feats in extinguishing the conflict on the Chinese Eastern Railway in 1929".

b) The sword shows a portrait of Karl Marx at the upper part of the grip.

1. The Sword:

I can only guess:

a) S. S. Kamenev & S. M. Budyonny :unsure: ?

b) 1920 :unsure: ?

Christian

2. Firearm:

a) S. S. Kamenev & S. M. Budyonny.

b) January the 26th, 1921, Order No. 28 by the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic.

3. 1930 Sword:

a) S. S. Vostretsov "for outstanding feats in extinguishing the conflict on the Chinese Eastern Railway in 1929".

b) The sword shows a portrait of Karl Marx at the upper part of the grip.

1. The Sword:

I can only guess:

a) S. S. Kamenev & S. M. Buyonny :unsure: ?

b) 1920 :unsure: ?

Christian

Wow Christian, quick answers!!! :jumping: But not all correct... :rolleyes:

Let's comment...

The Sword :

You said : a) S. S. Kamenev & S. M. Budyonny

Correct. :jumping:

We can just precise that Kamenev was Commander-in-Chief of all the armed forces of the Soviet republic. Budyonny, one of the legendary heroes of the Civil War, who has been awarded Tsarist area orders and medals and later became Marshal of the Soviet Union.

You answered : 1920 ?

This is not correct.

The Firearm :

You answered : S. S. Kamenev & S. M. Budyonny.

You said : January the 26th, 1921, Order No. 28 by the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic.

But, what is the specific point we could add about these Firearms and their awardees ?

The 1930 Sword :

You answered : S. S. Vostretsov "for outstanding feats in extinguishing the conflict on the Chinese Eastern Railway in 1929".

That is partially correct. What is the exact date when this sword has been awarded ?

You said : The sword shows a portrait of Karl Marx at the upper part of the grip.

This is wrong. As you can see on the pic I posted, this karl Marx portrait was already on the 1919-1921 versions.

Christian, all in all excellent answers!!!! :jumping::jumping:

I can say as soon as now that you are the winner!!!

For the beauty of the game, do you want (or someone else) try to answer the unanswered questions, or do you prefer me to provide the complete answers ? I'll let you (all of you) try. If you don't find them, I'll post the remaining answers later in the day, and you will be able to post your new challenge.

Again, bravo!!!

Cheers.

Ch.