News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

now my grey cells start woking.

The man was VasiliAlexandropovich Arkhipow,Commander

Near Cuba during the missile crisis Oct.27th, 1962

Boat was under fire by depth carges, Capain believed that war already started, wanted to launch nuclear tipped torpedo, Arkhipov persuaded him to surface the boat and ask Moscow and refused to use the KEY.

T. Blanton Said " A guy called Vasili Arkhipov saved the World"

THAT MUST BE THE CORRECT ANSWER (hope it is not too late. I type very slowly so that everybody can read it.)

Regards

Frank

:cheers::cheers:

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Frank :beer:

The answer is indeed:

1) Commander Vasili Alexandrovich Arkhipov

2) October 27th 1962 - Cuba

3a) On October 27th 1962 during the Cuban Missile Crisis, a group of 11 United States Navy destroyers headed by the aircraft carrier USS Randolph entrapped Soviet Foxtrot class

Submarine B-59 near Cuba and started dropping depth charges. Allegedly, the captain of the submarine, Valentin Grigorievitch Savitsky, believing that a war might already have started,

prepared to launch a retaliatory nuclear-tipped torpedo.

3b) Captain Savitsky and Political Officer Ivan Semonovich Maslennikov together with Arkhipov were entitled to launch

this torpedo if they agreed unanimously to do so. An argument broke out among the three, in which only Arkhipov was against making the attack.

3c) Eventually Captain Savitsky was persuaded to surface the submarine and await orders from Moscow. The nuclear war which presumably would have ensued as a result of a Soviet first strike was averted.

4) At the conference commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis held in Havana on October 13, 2002,

Robert McNamara admitted that nuclear war had come much closer than people had thought.

Thomas Blanton, director of the National Security Archive, said that "a guy called Vasili Arkhipov saved the world."

Dear Frank,

seems that you are the winner again :cheers: .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Alexandrovich_Arkhipov

I didn't find anything about such an incident in my 2 books about Soviet subs from Peter Huchthausen and other submarine publications :(:blush: .

Best regards & congratulations :beer:

Christian

BTW: At least I am a rather well "scout" for getting to the answers ;) .

Check the wiki link for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Alexandrovich_Arkhipov

My next would have been the class of the submarine i.e. Project 641 class knwon to Nato as Foxtrot class. But that would have made the search far too easy :)

Was starting to worry about how well known this incident was. Also I am sure that Tom Clancy was taking notes when this happenned. :D

Jim :cheers:

http://www.russianwarrior.com/STMMain.htm?...story.htm&1

Before knarf changes the subject - if you are interested in reading up on the foxtrot class submarine please check the above link.

And remember that we owe Arkhipov much more than we think .... had he been a gung ho ruskie "cowboy" like his captain, USSR may have launched the nuclear tipped torpedo in retaliation to the American's shots, which would have destroyed the carrier and destroyers, this would have probably trigerred a similar and stronger response from the Americans!! Nuclear holocaust!!

Just comming back from a conference on this topic I had the mad idea to ask the following question

At 1978 SALT peace talks Mr. Brezhnev suggested banning weapons "More frightful than the mind of man has ever conceived.

What did he mean?

There was a special department developing these weapons.

where was it and what did they work on?

I think Wicki can`t help :rolleyes:

Good luck

regards

Frank :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

And remember that we owe Arkhipov much more than we think .... had he been a gung ho ruskie "cowboy" like his captain, USSR may have launched the nuclear tipped torpedo in retaliation to the American's shots, which would have destroyed the carrier and destroyers, this would have probably trigerred a similar and stronger response from the Americans!! Nuclear holocaust!!

Dear Jim,

these are true words :cheers: .

For that reason the surviving crew members of the K-19 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-19 should receive the Nobel Peace Prize, as Gorbacev suggested :jumping: . They never got their HSUs only RBs :angry: .

Let's take a drink for those, who are still out on patrol.....

Many thanks for the Foxtrot-link.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

BTW: During the "Cuba-Crisis" - caused by a nuclear provocation by the US-Administration in Turkey, close to the CCCP-border - had been the world very close to to a 3rd world war. Kennedy - as an unexperienced president and suffering from very bad health (almost like the late Brezhnev) - played a dangerous game. Also Khrushchev presented a rather "weak" figure in that game. The memoirs of Soviet General Anatoly Gribkov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoly_Gribkov , who played the Soviet key-role during "Anadyr" at Cuba, a worth reading (sorry, only in Russian or German :( ).

Edited by Christian Zulus

B-weapons :unsure:?

Just comming back from a conference on this topic I had the mad idea to ask the following question

At 1978 SALT peace talks Mr. Brezhnev suggested banning weapons "More frightful than the mind of man has ever conceived.

What did he mean?

There was a special department developing these weapons.

where was it and what did they work on?

Dear Frank,

there had been the 2nd SALT-summit with President Carter in Vienna at that time :D .

Biological weapons :unsure: ?

Christian

Hallo Christian,

it has to do with Biology but only very little. The most people do not even think of this kind of weapon and nobody is talking about it. Perhaps that is good. This weapons you cannot tuch, detect, smell and see.

they are the worst that mankind can develop.

Even I am afraid. :speechless1:

Regards

Frank

Dear Frank,

THE MILITARY USE OF ELECTROMAGNETIC MICROWAVE AND MIND CONTROL TECHNOLOGY :unsure:????

I have no idea about this topic - sounds a little bit like science fiction ;) .

Years ago (in the 1980s) I read in the "Soviet Soldier" - last issue: december 1991 ;) - some stories about UFO-research done by the Soviet Army.

Never heard about any special departmants in the Soviet Army for UFOs, microwaves or mind control ...

Well, the Soviets had been always very open minded to all issues concerning defense :rolleyes: .

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

The former Soviet Union had a long history of psychic manipulation programs using techniques such as psychotronics ? the use of radiated energy. At the 1978 SALT peace talks, the Russian President Brezhnev suggested banning such weapons. Although no public admission of this was made, the Soviet?s research was clearly worrying the US. And there was good reason to be concerned.

In 1974, Dr. Vlail Kaznacheyev, Director of the Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Novosibirsk believed that he had demonstrated death could be caused by beaming ultraviolet rays from a distance. For 20 years he has been directing highly unusual experiments with twin cell cultures. These experiments are vital to understanding disease and healing on a more fundamental basis than is presently utilized by orthodox medical science. The Kaznacheyev experiments (several thousand) in the Soviet Union proved conclusively that any cellular disease or death pattern can be transmitted electromagnetically, and induced in target cells absorbing the radiation. In the experiments, two sealed containers were placed side by side, with a thin optical window separating them. The two containers were completely environmentally shielded except for the optical coupling. A tissue was separated into two identical samples, and one sample placed in each of the two halves of the apparatus. The cells in one sample (on one side of the glass) were then subjected to a deleterious agent - a selected virus, bacterial infection, chemical poison, nuclear radiation, deadly ultraviolet radiation, etc. This led to disease and death of the exposed/infected cell culture sample. If the thin optical window was made of ordinary window glass, the uninfected cells on the other side of the window were undamaged and remained healthy. This of course was as expected in the orthodox medical view. However, if the thin optical window was made of quartz, a most unexpected thing happened. Some time (usually about 12 hours) after the disease appeared in the infected sample, the same features of disease appeared in the uninfected sample.This startling "infection by optical coupling" occurred in a substantial percentage of the tests (70 to 80 percent). From an orthodox medical view, these results were unexpected and unheard of.

In 1974, Robert Pavlita, a Czech engineer, showed he could kill insects at distance by using psychotronic devices. Soviet scientists were able to kill goats at ranges beyond one kilometer.

More importantly, this technology is reputed to make it also possible to simply pull out a personality-structure from a person, without his or her consent, and insert another. Or to alter a given personality structure by just "altering and re-recording the software". This technological possibility, of course, will certainly be noticed by would-be egomaniacs and dictators, for it can yield the ultimate mind control. It will also be possible to provide direct input inside the mind, surreptitiously, from a distance and without the knowledge and consent of the individual affected. This can be beneficial if it's just "instantaneous telepathy" - instantaneous communications, so to speak, and if it is desired by the recipient. It can be however be highly detrimental if it is undesirable material, or if it's a forced internal change, or enslavement, or used to overwhelm and destroy the mind, or used to jam the body's immune system, induce virulent diseases en masse, etc. Unless the present inhumanity of one human for another is overcome, future wars are likely to take on aspects that stagger the imagination.

In 1975 Brezhnev called these new mass destruction weapons of the future "...more frightful than the mind of man has ever imagined." He should know. When he made the statement, the Soviets had already been inducing diseases in persons in the U.S. Embassy in Moscow for nearly 30 years.

Hopefully this explains what was meant by Brezhnev, who was responsible for developing these weapons and where he was based!

Very interesting subject indeed! Sci-fi becomes reality indeed! Think Orwell's 1984 and Clarke's 2001 - Space Odessey.... then start to think beyond! Big brother is more than watching you :cheeky:

Hallo Jim, your answer is correct

The main place where The Soviets did their tests was Academgorodk in Special Department Nr.8 established 1966.

The Defence Intelligence Agency published some Documents on the Pages of National Security Archives. Most times these links are not working but if they do they are very interesting.

These experiments are fascinating and sometimes easy to do. Some links are to be found in Stargate collection.

Regards and congratulations

Frank :cheers::cheers:

Hey guys!!

Christian thanks for your congratulations! Here are a couple of the links that I used!

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/scalar_t...calarwar03a.htm

http://www.cheniere.org/misc/interview1991.htm

I'll be back with my question on Monday as I have guests (russian) at home and in all honesty, I just had a lovely sushi dinner with too much Nemiroff vodka:D

In the menatime Frank might send some more links

Za nashe ee vashe zdarova!!!

Not this spicy ukranian stuff which is vodka with pepper and honey! A killer! I get shivers when I even remember the bottle!

I am half tempted to ask who was the first Soviet to be drank under the table by a European!!! :cheeky: It sure was not me! All I know is that the hangover is not half as bad as the ones I know from drinking wine or whisky! Why is it that once every 2 years I think I can keep up with them and their vodka!!

I have someone in mind for the quiz .... But let my head clear out first before I even try to formulate the question :speechless:

Ok.... feeling better so here goes - No fishing for hints yet! Its not that hard :D

I was a free thinking officer, who believed that you cannot cage an eagle!

I am infamous for my deed when I looked East to go West.

My journey was almost painful but free of charge! My new friends took care of the shipping and handling.

My old ones I left nothing but costs!

QUESTIONS

1) Who am I and what is my rank?

2) What was my job description and station?

3) Why am I so infamous?

4) Why was my journey almost painful?

5) What was the shipping and handling I left my new friends and what were the costs to my old friends?

Hi Belaruski!

I am afraid its not..... :D

We gathered he is a defector so far ..... read the clues in the question. There is a hint at what this officer did for a living before defecting.... from then on its not that hard.

Actually, I think It's Viktor Belenko.

1. Snr Lieutenant Belenko

2. Deputy commander of squadron and pilot with the 513th Fighter Regiment of the Soviet Anti-Air Defense based in Chuguyevka, Primorsky Krai.

3. Flew to Japan to defect (to the USA) ((East looking West?!))

4. He almost hit an airliner when landing, and nearly crashed into a radar dish. With only 30 seconds of fuel left. Then he was interrogated for 5 months.

5. He flew a MIG25 foxbat that the Japanese and US dismantled and sent back to the USSR in 30 crates (shipping costs to new friends). The cost to the USSR was that they had to cancel production of 2 aircraft carriers to replace all Soviet aircraft's target ID systems.